Thread: Help needed - ended process iexplorer

Question Help needed - ended process iexplorer

Hi. My computer began opening internet explorer over and over again to where alt + f4 coudlnt keep up, so I ended the process iexplorer.exe. The problem is, when I restarted the machine, iexplorer didn't get restarted and now I can't open it. Does anyone know how to restore a process that has been ended? Thanks for any help you can provide.

I take it you have carried out a virus scan etc?

What O/S are you using?

98SE has an Explorer Repair Tool in the "Tools" menu within the System Information utility.

This is a little known but very useful tool that solves a lot of problems with 98SE!

With XP, I would do a "Search Files and Folders" for "iexplore" and see if you can find it on your system. On my system it is in my Program Files.

If its not there the quickest and easiest way (and the way with less heart ache) is to re-install your O/S!

Do a quick CTL ALT DEL and see if IEXPLORE.EXE is there, if not go to the run prompt and do the msconfig thing.

Under windows 98SE iexplore will be listed there (i think, its been a long time since i used it) But it definatley isnt listed under XP.
    If it is listed make sure its checked.

If not and if your using XP go to the SYSTEM.INI , WIN.INI and ensure everything has a tick next to it. You can goto BOTT.INI whilst you are here and "check boot paths" if you want to aswell!

Let us know how you get on!

thanks for the advice - I can't find anything wrong with any of the config tabs or anything, and I still have the program internet explorer, I just can't open it - I guess because I can't get the process restarted. It isn't a huge deal because I'm using this MSN browser and it gets the job done. Still, if anyone knows how to restart an ended process I would be much obliged. Oh, and I downloaded IE version 6 and the service pack and still nothing. In the end I might just have to format drive C and reinstall everything, I've been meaning to do that anyways.

How can you not start it, What happens when you click the icon on your desktop for IE ?

Why not download another browser ? Download FireFox or SlimBroswer or MyIE2 or whatever u feel like. If you can't download it at home, download it by a friend, burn ir and install it. Why format the whole HDD ? cuz u can't open IE ....no reason at all !

I know what your saying about a format alconovica, sometimes I think its the easiest way to solve a problem that you cant be arsed to fix!!

I would try a re-install first though - you dont have to format to do a re-install!

You havent said what O/S you are using?

You could try putting your windows disc in and doing a search on it to find iexplore and just copy this across to your windows installation??