Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Practicing" with a home network...

And if you want to see an OS that is actually secure out of the box.... put OpenBSD on one of your computers. All gloating aside (I am also an IRIX fan, the worst security record...), it is very instructional to poke around OpenBSD and see what it is about a default load that makes it more secure than any other flavor of Linux, BSD, or UNIX.

You might also want to download a copy of Solaris 10 Preview (http://wwws.sun.com/software/solaris/10/), it has some pretty interesting security features; not to mention Sun's firewall 'SunScreen' which is pretty darn good (and scalable, joy!).

-- bumblehead
    Get OpenSolaris http://www.opensolaris.org/

put OpenBSD on one of your computers. All gloating aside (I am also an IRIX fan, the worst security record...), it is very instructional to poke around OpenBSD and see what it is about a default load that makes it more secure than any other flavor of Linux, BSD, or UNIX.
    Gotta say I agree with that I hafta say, during my venture with OpenBSD, I have yet to have any major security infacture's or problem's. All of the one's I get is your common every day port scan's/probe's and whatnot.
    Space For Rent.. =]

thanks everyone!
    i will be sure to try OpenBSD and Solaris....i never even thought of experimenting with different OSes before haha...thanks

Heres a newb question for yah (sorry):
    If i scan a computer on my network from another computer on my network using its LAN ip, will that give me the proper results? Would that be the same thing as if i didnt have a firewall/router and was scanning the computer from outside the network (thats what I want..)?

It depends how your router is configured, really.

It's possible for a router to be configured to treat traffic originating outside the LAN much more strictly.
    For example, you might have an "access list" which tells your router to refuse any telnet connection request originating from an IP outside your LAN, but to allow telnet sessions to be made between LAN hosts without complaint.
    This would make it appear that you are vulnerable to telnet attacks when in fact your router protects against them. (Not that you should rest easy - more security is better!)

If you have a dinky Linksys router like most home users, it should be fairly easy to figure out how it is configured via the web-based GUI.
    If you have a full-blown command line configurable router, well, you've got a lot to learn. If you let us know what router you're using, maybe we can help further.

its a microsoft MN-700 wireless base station

I hope I'm not stealing anyone's thunder, but I found MsMitten's wargame PDF a wealth of information.

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hlight=wargame
    Tachyon

|-----|Alcohol is my anti-drug |-----|

Regal Making Handler
    Looking at one of your earlier posts you mention a direct connection between 2 pc's, using your wireless connection. You should be able to set this up quite easily using the adhoc option. This will anable you to make a direct connection to another pc just as if you were using a crossover wired connection.

I'm not familiar with your router. But if it is acting as a network switch within your home network enviroment and only routing to the internet, you should be able to scan etc, with no problems on your wlan.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

thanks alot jinxy! haha thats exactly what i was wanted to know.

thanks for everyones help...you all gave me alot of really good information