Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Securing Windows

Securing Windows

Ive came upon the attached file, which is probebly one of th emost indepth yet simple tutorial on how to secure windows.

It is not my work and it has been left 100% intact, including the authors name and email address.

It starts off mentioning securing laptops but it is more to do with securing Windows really.

I found it very very useful so thought I would share it with anyone who is intrested.

It is a Tutorial, all be it not mine, which is why Ive posted it here.

Its very basic and aimed at the inexperienced but is still handy to refer to.

Hope you enjoy it!

//It is in PDF format so acrobat will be needed!!

Pretty basic for most here, but definitly something to hang around the office (if you have one of course) Certainly a good thing to print out and give to people whom have had problems with these things in the past...
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Yep, its a good thing to keep lying around.

I was annoyed at first to see this useful tut negged, then I saw why:

5. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES POST SOMETHING THAT YOU DID NOT WRITE ON YOUR OWN ACCORD WITH YOUR OWN BRAIN (i.e. dont copy a tutorial or information somewhere else, thats illegal)
    I think that's what got ya Nokia. Still, it was very useful info. Perhaps you can post this kind of stuff in regular security forums to get around this issue? Perhaps a link to its original location? It was at least good that you noted on the front end that it wasn't yours.

That said, I especially found the section on services to disable particularly useful.

Yes, but I don't believe that is a good reason, as nokia CLEARLY stated that it wasn't his, and he wasn't trying to take credit. He was just giving us a link to something he thought was a good tutorial, and if that person were a user here he would probably want him to have the +++ ap's.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

AntiOnline n00b
    hi

And by Posting it here according to AUP...Nokia has given Jup Media the right To use this work....... without taking the permission of the actual Writer......

By posting, you hereby grant us a perpetual, non-exclusive license to the posted content for use online, in print, databases, CD, and any and all other media, whether now known or hereafter created.
    a link would have been a good idea that too in some other fourm..not Tutorial Section

The rules are quite clear on what to post here and what not to post.....and i am not sure why havent the mods moved it yet what's taking them soo long.........

Regal Making Handler
    A point, he did not post it. He attached it to his post.

Having said that. Nokia, perhaps you should have put this some other place.

The tutorials forum, is for original tut's.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

I found the best way to secure windows is to either nail them shut and install 2 inch bars vertically across. If this is not secure enough for you, we suggest that you cement over the windows completely.

Windows will break and the more money you spend on better windows the more your wasting on something that will fail you.

Well it says "not under any circumstances" can you post another's work. I agree that seems a rather bit strict, but that's the rule we're stuck with, right? So, I was saying for Nokia's sake that posting in another section might be the desired work-around for that hard little rule there. Just a thought. Anyway, let's not get into another what's-a-proper-tut discussion that takes away from the topic at hand, else I'll regret having brought it up.

Heh heh, 2 inch bars...cute...