Thread: Fun with MTV

Fun with MTV's The Leak

I was bored tonight and was flipping through the channels.

I landed on MTV and they were showing a commercial that the artist Brandy will be coming out with a new CD and you can hear it first on "The Leak" before it even hits the stores.

I was curious why they called it "The Leak"...

Well I found out. I was able to bypass their "forced player" and download each song and then burn it to a CD. So, thats how this stuff gets leaked to p2p networks...

Mind you... I don't like Brandy as an artist... it was just the one there when I decided to try it out.

All the tools needed:

Ethereal
    NetTransport
    RealPlayer
    A little imagination

I'm guessing that you can do this with any of their albums on "The leak" or any site that makes you stream it. This isn't anything new... I just thought that they'd have something a little more secure than what they did....

Just look at the capture and find out where exactly it is coming from... it'll look something like this

Code:
     DESCRIBE rtsp://a1021.v0029f.c10740.g.vr.akamaistream.net:554/ondemand/7/1021/10740/v001/mtvcomstor.download.akamai.com/8601/_!/mtv.com/audio/b/brandy/afrodisiac/0q6bhjx9t8/track_15_64k.rm/caCdVbLdgdwczapbeb6dYd9aTa_bia7dJas-ba3lU7-dHa-CDLztF/ver_03 RTSP/1.0
    What we are interested in is
    Code:
    rtsp://a1021.v0029f.c10740.g.vr.akamaistream.net:554/ondemand/7/1021/10740/v001/mtvcomstor.download.akamai.com/8601/_!/mtv.com/audio/b/brandy/afrodisiac/0q6bhjx9t8/track_15_64k.rm/caCdVbLdgdwczapbeb6dYd9aTa_bia7dJas-ba3lU7-dHa-CDLztF/ver_03
    Put that in the Net Transport as the url and call it whatever you want. In this case... the song name is "Should I Go".

If you'll notice the track_15_64k.rm in there... the url will be the same for all songs... just the track number changes.... looks like 64k is the best quality they offer... but still sounds good.

No authentication or challenge or anything is needed... what a shame....

http://www.mtv.com/music/the_leak/br...ac/index.jhtml

List Price: $18.98

ROFL: Why pay when they are practially giving it away for free?! It took me little over 20 minutes to get the whole CD. Mind you: I don't like her music and am deleteing it right now... I was just bored and thought that they had to be a way to grab it.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

The Recidivist
    I was curious if u ever contacted them about this and if so, what was their response?

hjack
    "Where the tree of knowledge stands, there is always paradise": thus speak the oldest and the youngest serpents.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

Nah, I didn't contact them. You can do this with any streaming media site...

I had never tried it before and just started messing around and found an easy way to do it.

Maybe there are easier ways to do it... I dunno... I've never tried or looked. I was just bored...

Maybe I should contact them? Its not really a vulnerability... its just a way to "record" the streaming music....
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Banned
    Sounds like fun
    There's a bunch of software that does what you did, but most of it has limited capabilities...