My own personal adware honeypot

Thread: My own personal adware honeypot

My own personal adware honeypot

An interesting thing:
    I was in the process of making my computer dual booting w/ win and lin, and for the heck of it, I decided to install a fresh copy of windows XP without installing any virus,adware,spyware,firewall software, this was yesterday. Today, exactly a day later. I ran adaware and x-cleaner. x-cleaner crashed everytime I ran it halfway through the scanning process and adaware said I had 12 ad/spy/bhj. Even as I typed, ad windows would pop up. For some crazy reason, It all happened seemingly when I went to a PS2 cheats site. I'm not sure if this site is the culprit or not, but it made so many popups that explorer crashed!
    Just for the record, the site is psx2codes.com/hobbit.html Obviously, I wouldn't suggest going to this site though. Just thought this might be of interest.

peace
    I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our childrenís children, because I donít think children should be having sex. -- Jack Handey

I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Well, although that post is the start of what happened on my computer, It really quickly turned into a malware riot. I purposely left windows unsecure to see how long before anything happened. and so much malware was hitting me that they were crashing each other, making full screen warnings saying to click this link and that link. I did a file search of all files that were modified from the time i went to that site and 1200 files were found. I hadn't done a single thing other than come to AO since that game site. adaware now said that 349 objects were found . That was from earlier when i opened the site, to around 8, when i ran adaware a second time. I decided that that was enough stress on my pc and quickly swiched back to strictly linux. a fresh install of windows is way too unsecure. Would this be the case if linux was as widely used as windows? I went to that same ps2 site in linux and only 2 popups appeared. nothing more.
    I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our childrenís children, because I donít think children should be having sex. -- Jack Handey

Banned
    "I went to that same ps2 site in linux and only 2 popups appeared. nothing more."

Did you expect the adware to jump platform or something?

Did you expect the adware to jump platform or something?
    No, not really, but I find the contrast really interesting.

mungyun
    Off topic, but your name's sounds frighteningly familiar. Were you an old member on AO or any other message board? Ahh, anyways. I don't understand why you called it your own "Adware Honeypot" but basically what your saying is that you went to a website and found it interesting that it's pop-up's caused your ad-aware to alert. Hate to break it to you, but that's the concept behind it
    Space For Rent.. =]

Were you an old member on AO or any other message board?
    No, mungyun is a strange nickname I got a long time ago from my friends.

I can't say completely that it was all that site, I just noticed a lot of reaction when I opened it.
    I have all kinds of info from when I installed win to the time i switched back to linux. I just haven't been able to look through it all yet.

This planned from the beginning to learn first hand how long an unprotected window system would last. It has to do with my unix class and comparing the security between a freshly installed windows and unix. I was just trying to go above and beyond cause I want to do good in the class. It's hopefully going to be my future.
    You're right I should have made the subject something different like: Windows is like bill gates, he will get beaten up if he has no security around him.

You're right I should have made the subject something different like: Windows is like bill gates, he will get beaten up if he has no security around him
    Heh, comical and that was funny.. but nah, your topic was ehh fine. It's just that obviously you don't have a "adware honeypot", lol.
    Space For Rent.. =]