Red Hat Linux Trouble

Thread: Red Hat Linux Trouble

Red Hat Linux Trouble

Hello,

Im having trouble installing Red Hat Linux every time i go to install it it wont start the GUI that incudes the setup/install program, i can do the text based setup fine but when it completes and i go to start red hat the same problem occours that nothing is displayed on the monotor.just a big black screen: My system specs are:

AMD Athlon 2400
    512 RAM
    90.0 GB Total HD Space
    Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 AGP 8X Graphics Card - 128 MB

Can someone help me,

Thx in advance
    |Ex.G| Shadow

First off, glad to see a newbie with only 4 post's is posting his thread's in the right forum .

Anyways, you say it's a black screen? As in a pitch black blank screen? So I take it the installation isn't complete. Take out your installation disk and re-install. However, I'm thinking it could be a hardware problem with your moniter.

EDIT: And are you sure you finished the setup/install and did it correctly?
    Space For Rent.. =]

Yes im very sure that i installed everything right, no error messages in the setup, and the problem starts when ever i try to start any red hat GUI, including the non text based setup
    |Ex.G| Shadow

When the install finished and when the computer rebooted, did you make sure that the install CD was not in the CDROm drive?
    Did you make it so that you need a Bootable disk in the A:\? If so was the disk inserted?
    Did you also change your Bios setting's so that it would boot from A:\ first?
    And if you didn't configure it so that it boot's from a Bootable disk, then are you sure that you installed all relevant packages..
    Just wondering what version of Red Hat is it?

cheers
    f2b:.

First Question: Yes the Install CD was in the Drive when i finished (but why does that matter if i couldent get to the GUI when i installed it in the first place)
    Second Question: No Bootable Disk, Bootable CD-ROM tho
    Forth Question : Pritty sure i installed all the packages
    and its red hat 9

thx for ur help
    |Ex.G| Shadow

Does your big black screen have a cursor blinking in it? If the gui install does not show up, did you check your disks to make sure they are not corrupted? And you get no errors when you do a text based install?

I am thinking that your video card is not compatible with redhat 9, that is why you are getting the black screen or you could try logging in as root and run either Xconfigurator (recommended first) or XF86Setup and specify the type of hardware that you are using. Then try running startx again.