Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 2003 Server part 1

Windows 2003 Server part 1

This tutorial will be issued in a few different parts and cover a few different subjects:

Part 1. Loading Windows 2003 Server onto your system (single boot mode)
    Part 2. Installing Active Directory
    Part 3. Installing a DNS
    Part 4. Adding Client Users to the Server
    Part 5. Adding Logon Scripts
    Part 6. Connecting Client Machines to new Domain

1. Loading Windows 2003

|| This tutorial is for learning purposes only. I do not accept and responsibilty for what may happen to a readers/users property, computer, system, files or any damage that may occur from this tutorial. ||

Loading Windows 2003 Server (W2k3) operating system is the same as loading similar Windows operating systems (OS's). Restart your system with the

W2k3 cd loading into the cd drive. On most systems it will automatically ask you if you would like to boot to CD.

*But if in your case it does not allow this. Boot into the system bios and set the boot up configurations to cd (ide drive) as your primary boot drive.*

Once you boot to the CD it will automatically start to load the files it needs to install the new OS. Do not turn your machine off during this process.

After this process you will be greeted with a "Welcome to Setup" area.

Read the bullet points then follow the bullet that states: "To setup up Windoes now, press ENTER." Press Enter.

After you press enter you will come to the end-user license agreement. Read the agreement. After reading the agreement press the F8 key.

Next you will need to create a partition to load your new OS onto. To create a partition follow the directions on the screen. When I create and OS

partition I usually do not set the whole harddrive to the same partition as I set the OS. For W2k3 I set the partition to 5005 MB this will give me a more

than enough room to load my OS. After setting the partitions select the partition you would like to set you system on and press ENTER.

You will then need to select which format you would like your partition formatted to. For W2k3 you should select a NTFS format. Personally I do not like

the quick format so I select the NTFS regular format.

Once you format your drive you can sit back and relax for a second because the OS will automatically start to load. Once the OS has loaded, your

machine will automatically restart (on the restart it will ask you if you would like to boot to the CD again DO NOT press a key let the system start.

The OS is still loading however you will see a graphical user interface (GUI) loading the OS.

The first thing that you will be asked for interaction will be setting the "Regional and Language Options" here you will select your correct: Language and

Keyboard settings. [Click Next]

The next information you need to give is your name and organization. Use your cursor to select a box and type the information in. [Click Next]

You now need to enter "Your Product Key" enter the product key that came with your OS software. [Click Next]

You will need to know how to configure your own "Licensing Modes." However to change the "Number of concurrent connections" you need change the

number in the small box in the right side of the screen. [Click Next]

Here you enter the computer name (this name will be the name that the network will see) and the Administrator's password (remember your password --

you will not be able to gain access to the system if you forget the password). [Click Next]

Set your current "Date and Time Settings." [Click Next] ......Sit and wait for the OS to continue loading......

You will need to set your "Network Settings" if you do not know your settings or do not have any special settings select "Typical settings." [Click Next]

If you need join a DOMAIN select "Yes" and enter the domain. If you do not need to enter a Domain select "No" when you select "No" you are saying that

you want to make this computer a member of a Workgroup. If you have a specific Workgroup you need to join enter the name if not keep the default

setting (WORKGROUP). [Click Next]

Wait for a bit....... You can entertain youself by reading the crap that pops up on the screen as it loads!!

Your machine will restart...Remember not to boot to the CD!

Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to begin.

Enter your password.

You may need to load some device drivers onto your system for certain devices to work. However W2k3 is fairly good with drivers.

Congratulations you have successfully installed Windows 2003 Server onto your system!

The next tutorial I will issue will cover installing services such as Active Directory and DNS.

- MilitantEidolon
    Yeah thats right........I said It!

Ultimately everyone will have their own opinion--this is mine.

AO French Antique News Whore
    ok ok! You should read those before posting another tutorial.

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=248688
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=257049

If you're too lazy to read them, do a better formating at least!!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

SDK -

I am not trying to write a security tutorial, I am trying to write a windows 2003 installation tutorial. It is part one in a long series. I am then going to compile them into a PDF format with screen shots. However since I received negative feedback I will just wait until I write all 6 tutorials with the screenshots then post.

I am very dissappointed, I spent time writing this and was excited to be able to share some knowledge with the AO community (maybe getting some dumb questions answered quicker) but it obviously seems that because I am not LEET enough I am not suppose to. So whatever I will post the tutorial when it is finished.

- MilitantEidolon

Banned
    The formatting is probably caused by writing it in Word/NotePad first, then c&p-ing it.
    Always happens to me, too

I think it'd definitely be nice to make a series out of this.

I hear you on the formatting issue, but I will be building each tutorial into a PDF format (with screen shots) at the end. So I will redeem myself on the formatting.

- MilitantEidolon

AO French Antique News Whore
    Maybe I over-react by the fact

1) Formatting is bad
    2) Installing 2003 is the same that installing 2000 and XP.

I look forward to see the rest.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Yeah i'm defiantly looking forward to the next installments..
    Great effort you put into this one so far MilitantEidolon keep up the good work

cheers
    F2B:.

AntiOnline n00b
    Hi

I hear you on the formatting issue, but I will be building each tutorial into a PDF format (with screen shots) at the end. So I will redeem myself on the formatting.
    No PDF will Not redeem you from Doing the Formatting........Yes you can Attach the PDF but.. ..also do not Forget to Make the Actual Post Presentable......it dosen't take much time.......I would like to make a few Recommendations here

Always Type the Tutorial in other Text Editor First ...Like Word, Notepad..etc..read it at least Twice....and look for areas where more explanations is required

Make Sections and Sub Sections in it...and each having Proper Headings that Describes tha section....There aren't any in yours it just goes and on....

Then Copy it Line by Line or paragraph by paragraph and than Format it........then go on copy paste the next section.....

There are Various Formatting option Avalable here....

like you can make the Heading look like headings

Italics to emphasise something between sentences

or by Underline

If you want to show multiple Choices you can do it with
    • First
    • Second
    • Third

and
    1. First
    2. Second
    3. Third

These might seem very small things to bother about..But these things make average content look good and good content look Excelent......and in the case of Tutorial you have to make it look easy on the eyes....

You can attach the PDF also......But do not forget to make it Presentable as well ..Everybody was saying about this formatting it but nobody told what to change so i thought maybe i should post it ........

And can Sombody tell me how does this Spell Check Thing work ..i have clicked it at lest 5 times now and it's doing nothing ..am i missing something here

--Good Luck--

Banned
    The AntiOnline Spell Check doesn't work (at least not how it's supposed to).
    StreetRunner posted a nice alternative here, though

Another tip for the formatting-

I've found notepad and wordpad don't copy and paste well into AO... But Microsoft Word works like a charm. When I write it in Word, I also add all the tags ([b], [url], etc) so all I have to do is paste into the box, preview it, fix it, then post it.

mjk