Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MASM32 help

MASM32 help

Hi everybody,
    I am learning Assembly language. I have got a book "Assembly Language and Programming" by Peter Abel His site is www.prenhall.com/abel . The programs written in book are for masm 6.11 . Will they work fine for MASM 32. I think MASM 32 is for 32 bit application development. Also many of the programs in book produced .exes and .coms , but when executed they hanged my PC. If any one has read the book if yes please help. Now please dont ask me to join me www.masmforum.com . Also form where can i get a trial version copy of MASM 6.11
    Currently working on sdome link directories and a brand new programming site. :P will post them soon.

Is there no one who can help me????
    Currently working on sdome link directories and a brand new programming site. :P will post them soon.

yuvraj, what's wrong with www.masmforum.com ?

I think the problem is that the examples in the book were written to run on DOS. Windows won't allow most (or even all) INT 21H and INT 13H functions to run.

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds

AntiOnline n00b
    Hi

Yes i have read the Book some time back..it was "IBM PC Assembly Language and Programming" --Peter Abel....i used TURBO ASSEMBLER 5.0 and pretty much all the program were runnning perfectly fine......and sometimes the computer hangs due to logical errors in the program.....Happened to me lot of times...In school we used to boot through a bootable Floppy and then worked in the assembly....

And yes Those Programs Should work fine on MASM 32 as far as i know.....It's the other way around 32 bit application Don't run on 16-bit environments ...but 16 bit applications should run on 32bit plateform....

Just make sure you don't try to access the memory Directly Windows OS wouldn't let you do that and Give you a error message and few other restrictions..the first few of the Example in the book should work fine on windows.... i myself have run a few of them on windows.......

You will have to Buy MASM or TASM i don't know if a trial verson of either of them is avalable....

--Good Luck--

Well i need to know sword fish did you use to work on assembly language in windows or DOS

In school we used to boot through a bootable Floppy and then worked in the assembly....
    jdenny said that INT21h n INT13h arenot permitted by windows to some extent.
    jdenny www.masmforum.com is an advanced forum. For me its to high. I need to learn 16 bit before joining 32bit. alright
    sword_fish
    if i use bootable disc to access my system and then run assembly programs in it, will that help me. I have TASM and TASM32,MASM 32,also MASM 5 ,A86.I think that would help me. What do you say guys.

AntiOnline n00b
    Hi

Yes Do you have a DOS Bootable Floppy......If not it's easilymake one.......Boot from thet and then you can Do your Normal programming......

I did most of it on DOS..........sometimes at home i used to Do them on Windows 98 but as windows does not allow programs to directly access memory i generally get this eror "Program is trying to access memory directly.this Program will be aborded....." ..if you are starting off the first few example Programs of that book will work fine they are kind of simple programs.....

But i suggest you get a DOS Bootable Floppy and use that.........or in Windows 98 restart in Dos Mode

--Good Luck--

You will have to Buy MASM or TASM i don't know if a trial verson of either of them is avalable....
    There is a way to get MASM for free, Microsoft added it to one of their VC++ Service Packs. You can download that and, before it installs, copy ML.exe from your temp directory. You don't even need VC++.

Instructions on:
    http://users.easystreet.com/jkirwan/pctools.html

I use NASM myself, and I think it is a very nice program. You can get it at
    http://nasm.sf.net

Well its been late, i have been busy. I tried booting for a cd rom. And i then executed the code of gem( i think you know what gem is??) copper3.exe. n guess what it worked swordfish.

Which windows is 16 bit guys. I think i should work in 16 bit windows may be that might help. If not i will go for dos.

Also TheRepublican how do i get MASM form the vcpp.exe file you made me download from http://users.easystreet.com/jkirwan/pctools.html
    just tell me the way to get it.

Well I use NASM and it works great... Except I'm learning Linux assembly so you might not have much luck with it in Windoze.

I used it a little bit under windows (strictly hello world) and it worked fine.

I've never had any luck with MASM.

Which windows is 16 bit guys. I think i should work in 16 bit windows may be that might help. If not i will go for dos.
    All Windows is 32 bit. DOS is 16 bit. In Windows 95/98 you can boot into DOS. I think you might be able to do it in 2000/XP too (I'm too lazy to reboot right now). Just tap F8 while your computer is booting up.

mjk

Originally posted here by mjk
    All Windows is 32 bit.
    That would have been true a few years ago. But some of us are running XP/2003 with 64bit processing. Trial versions? I got my stuff from http://www.masm32.com/ did you?

Originally posted here by mjk
    I've never had any luck with MASM.
    I really don't get why peaple need to have a preference in an OS yet alone something such as an assembler... Its so petty and stupid. I mean **** and its not hard to edit your name into a few declared bytes in some hello world program...

DB "Blah blah blah",0

Oh and by the way unless you have some code for the masses to plagiarise then edit to sort of knock off as thier own, I really don't see why this is in code review. But oh well this place is empty as hell anyways...