Thread: What is CoronaWmiLogfile

Question What is CoronaWmiLogfile

I fond this file "CoronaWmiLogfile" on my c drive. I coudnt delete it till I restarted the comp, and when I restarted again, it came back. No virusscan, spy or ad ware prog detects it as anything yet I am suspicious of it. can anyone tell me what it is/does, where it came from, and if this isnt the right forum to post this in, where should I ? I appreciate any help as I dont like being spied on or whatever this file is doing. P.S. the file is always 64 kb
    Cough Cough GAG, Never underestimate the power of CUTTHECHEESE

I think Corona was the code name given by m$ for windows 9 media player.

Yes windows does use Corona as a file name, but that is not what this is.

The only thing I could find on it is in german http://www.google.com/search?q=Coron...&sa=N&filter=0
    on google, and you have to use translate page unless you happen to speak german.

They, also didn't have a cure for it but seemed to think it might be a worm? One of them did show how to delete it, but another said it came back after being deleted on the next boot.

Good luck, and keep us informed.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

So far there seems to be two trains of thought on this as best as I have been able to see (the translator wasnt that good hehehe) one is that it is a worm/trojan, the other that it is associated with Win Media Player. When I delete it, it does come back if I play a music or video file regardless of what media player I use, and it did seem to show up when I installed beta version of WMP 10 (it sux) I have since uninstalled it and will see what happens now. I no longer use WMP at all. If anyone else has any info, I truly appreciated it, and will keep all informed as things go.

I've never heard of it but a worm that keeps coming back rings some bells... Try disabling system restore (could be hiding in there...which is why it always comes back), booting into safe mode, and then run a search (start - search) for "Corona" or "CoronaWmiLogfile" or something and then delete everything that comes up that looks like what you're looking for. Then reboot (into normal mode) and you should be able to re-enable system restore. That might work but it's *far* more effective to remove a worm (if it is indeed a worm) with a worm removal tool b/c there's probably another part to it somewhere on your computer under some other filename that'll let it "reincarnate" itself everytime....I've run into that before and it can be a serious pain.

Well, so far this file hasnt returned since I UI'd Winmedia player. Now that I am using winamp5.0 pro I cant understand how I ever thot WMP was a superior player. Stupidity on my part. I will keep you all informed if it comes back, but for now it appears to have been assosiated with WMP. BTW For Keezel. Was I supposed to follow those links, or is that your signature in general?