somthing for the old timers

Thread: somthing for the old timers

somthing for the old timers

does anyone here rember the wank worm or the w. worm (same worm) from the late 80's
    I was reading somting and it's name came up and I rember when it hit. Just wanted to know if anybody here rembered it.
    [Shadow] have you ever noticed work is like a tree full of monkeys you look down and all you see is monkeys below you then you look up and all you see is a bunch of *******s above[/shadow]

I don't remember that virus in particular but for some odd reason when virus's are talked about i always remember the Homer Virus..

Huson Mt.
    Back then, if I didn't get it or know I had it, I wasn't worried about it. Non of the computers I worked with were connected to the internet, and we had very strong restrictions about loading a floppy or any noncompany media on our machines.

I did have a friend who got a virus from a game floppy that one of his operaters loaded into his companies machine. They had to reload the computer completely and lost a couple of days data.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

The WANK worm hit NASA around October 1989 I think ... "You talk of times of peace for all and then prepare for war" was in the logo that greeted the user which was a line from a song by a popular Australian Band of the times - Midnight Oil.(-- from `Blossom of Blood' on Species Deceases by Midnight Oil)

This led people to believe the worm was released by two hackers from Melbourne called Pheonix and Electron, although nothing has ever been proved to support this.

It features in the book Underground (available free to download online here and in the documentary "In the Realm of the Hackers" made by Australian Broadcasting Commission based on the book and these two hackers.

Back then, if I didn't get it or know I had it, I wasn't worried about it.
    I was the same way. If a virus came out, half the time I wasn't worried because I was smart at downloading at the vendor's site and making sure everything was right. Viruses just weren't much of a concern. And to answer your question, no. I don't remember that specific one.
    Space For Rent.. =]