Thread: Active Directory Problem

Active Directory Problem

Goodday

Please Help
    Active Directory not working.
    Every Time i dbl click on ACtive Directory Users and Computers
    It pop up this error message

" Naming Inofrmation cannot be loacted because:
    The specified domain either does not exist ir could not be contacted. Contact your system administrator
    to verify that your domain is properly configured and is currently online."

Please help.
    AD used to be working fine.

Please explain in detail. I not so familiar with staff from adminstrative tools
    Will to Learn
    javascript:myimagepopup(300,400,\'\')

Hey Hey,

Can't say I've ever seen that problem, however the Microsoft Knowledge base seems to have a related article.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;272686

If you can provide more information, I'll look further into the problem,

Peace.
    HT

Originally posted here by HTRegz
    Hey Hey,

Can't say I've ever seen that problem, however the Microsoft Knowledge base seems to have a related article.

Peace.
    HT
    I rem i did remove some protocols or services from
    "Local Area Connection Status" ---"properties" ---- "TCP/IP" ---- "instal"l ---- "protocol/services".

That might be why my active directory is not working.

I tried the W32time but its not working!

PLease tell me " According to error message in my first thread" what protocol and services it need to function.
    Will to Learn

Originally posted here by HTRegz
    Hey Hey,

Peace.
    HT
    And i also suspect it might be my dns problem.

I did a nslookup and it reply
    "cant find server name for address 10.x.x.x : Non existent domain
    Default servers are not available
    Default Server : Unknown
    Address : 10.0.0.2 ]

Please tell me how to slove , if it is a DNS problem.
    Will to Learn

Originally posted here by novkhan
    And i also suspect it might be my dns problem.

I did a nslookup and it reply
    "cant find server name for address 10.x.x.x : Non existent domain
    Default servers are not available
    Default Server : Unknown
    Address : 10.0.0.2 ]

Please tell me how to slove , if it is a DNS problem.
    Where are your DNS servers pointed? (On the machine you did the NSlookup) Are they pointed to your internal DNS server or to your ISP's dns server. Are you on the DNS server? The reason I ask is your ISP might not have your domain in their registry of domains (and so it points you nowhere).
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Originally posted here by CXGJarrod
    Where are your DNS servers pointed? (On the machine you did the NSlookup) Are they pointed to your internal DNS server or to your ISP's dns server. Are you on the DNS server? The reason I ask is your ISP might not have your domain in their registry of domains (and so it points you nowhere).
    Well, its a small lan i have at home.
    Only 2 PC.
    PC A ( Win 2000 Advance Server): 10.0.0.12 <------ DNS INSTALLED and pointing to himself.
    PC B ( Win 2000 Professional ) : 10.0.0.13

PC A (DNS server ) is where i did the NSlookup!

And i dun really understand this part
    "The reason I ask is your ISP might not have your domain in their registry of domains (and so it points you nowhere"

Additional info, this 2 PC is connected together by a Aztech 4 port router.
    IP:10.0.0.2
    Will to Learn

Originally posted here by novkhan
    Well, its a small lan i have at home.
    Only 2 PC.
    PC A ( Win 2000 Advance Server): 10.0.0.12 <------ DNS INSTALLED and pointing to himself.
    PC B ( Win 2000 Professional ) : 10.0.0.13

PC A (DNS server ) is where i did the NSlookup!

And i dun really understand this part
    "The reason I ask is your ISP might not have your domain in their registry of domains (and so it points you nowhere"

Additional info, this 2 PC is connected together by a Aztech 4 port router.
    IP:10.0.0.2
    The reason I asked about your ISP is because if you computer looks to your ISP's DNS servers for name resolution then your ISP might not have your DNS information. (And therefore would not know where to look when you asked it for your personal domain that you created)

Example: You want to go to Yahoo.com.

Your computer does this (in simple terms):

Your computer contacts your ISP's DNS server and asks do you know where yahoo.com is? ISP's DNS server might need to ask another DNS server. Finally you get a responce. And your ISP's dns server tells your computer yahoo.com is at 66.218.71.198.

Anyway... to get back to the problem. So.... if your DNS server is not responding to a nslookup....

When you type "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) at the command line what does it specify for your DNS server?

Also, you did do a Start - Run - "dcpromo" (without quotes) to get DNS working correct?
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

The reason I asked about your ISP is because if you computer looks to your ISP's DNS servers for name resolution then your ISP might not have your DNS information. (And therefore would not know where to look when you asked it for your personal domain that you created)

Example: You want to go to Yahoo.com.

Your computer does this (in simple terms):

Your computer contacts your ISP's DNS server and asks do you know where yahoo.com is? ISP's DNS server might need to ask another DNS server. Finally you get a responce. And your ISP's dns server tells your computer yahoo.com is at 66.218.71.198.

Anyway... to get back to the problem. So.... if your DNS server is not responding to a nslookup....

When you type "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) at the command line what does it specify for your DNS server?

Also, you did do a Start - Run - "dcpromo" (without quotes) to get DNS working correct?
    When i did this . It says Welcome to Active Directory Installation Services, when i click next, It states " Remove Active Directory"....? Why do i have to remove Active Driectory???

When i type Ipconfig/all, this is what i get.

Windows 2000 IP configuration
    hostname: Benq
    Primary DNS Suffix : ABC.com
    Node type Hybrid
    IP routing Enabled : Yes
    Wins Proxy Enabled : No
    DNS Suffix Search List : 10.0.0.12 <-----Benq IP address

Ethernet adapter local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix : 10.0.0.12
    Description: Asus......Blah,blah....
    Physical Address : 00-Blah-blah -balh
    DHCP Enabled : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled : Yes
    IP address : 10.0.0.12
    Subnet mask : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway : 10.0.0.2
    DHCP server : 10.0.0.2
    DNS Server : 10.0.0.2

Additional info:
    I set TCP/IP properties to" Obtain address automatically" & "Obtain DNS server automatically".
    I have tried to set "Obtain DNS server automatically" to 10.0.0.12. But it doesnt work too.
    Thanks.

Please feel free to ask for more details in any particular area.
    Will to Learn

DHCP Enabled : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled : Yes
    IP address : 10.0.0.12
    Subnet mask : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway : 10.0.0.2
    DHCP server : 10.0.0.2
    DNS Server : 10.0.0.2
    This might be where your problem lies. Win2k likes to have a static IP address for its DNS servers. So it knows where to find the server each time it loads. Disable DHCP and set a static IP address and DNS server. Do you have a broadband router? Or did you set up the IP address scheme yourself?

DCPROMO starts the install or uninstall of DNS services in Win2k. I guess you must of used the wizard to set everything up at one point.

This might be where your problem lies. Win2k likes to have a static IP address for its DNS servers. So it knows where to find the server each time it loads. Disable DHCP and set a static IP address and DNS server. Do you have a broadband router? Or did you set up the IP address scheme yourself?

DCPROMO starts the install or uninstall of DNS services in Win2k. I guess you must of used the wizard to set everything up at one point.
    Yes i am using a Board Band Router.

When i click on DHCP.... It gime a message " Cannot Find DHCP server" Guess that DHCP is disabled rite?

I have set the static IP and DNS server , But when i click on AD i still get the same error!

Thanks...
    Will to Learn