Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: suse is crap on finding cdrom

suse is crap on finding cdrom

suse it took me hell of a time and still not be able to play any CD's it can read the data cd's but never can play audio cd's . I am tired of googling it. Last time I used mandrake for a while and no problem at all. Suse sounds even better but not for Cd's and stuffs

It gives this error when I click the cd icon on desktop

Could not mount device.
    The reported error was:
    /dev/cdrom: Input/output error
    mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified

I checked on Yast and it /media/cdrecorder. I never found any solution anywhere but seen people suffering from the same on google.

I have a simialr prob at the mo, I dont get no error messages and to all intents and purposes my music cds are playing but I cant hear any sound.

Ive tried to google it to but it sounds like i had the same results as you did.

Im very close to sacking SuSE all toghether.

I learn't while googling that we may need to configure /etc/fstab Is there anyway to configure this. I also learnt that mounting,configuring and almost every aspect about it is done there,right?

One question. What version of SUSE are you people using? I have never had any problems with SUSE playing cd's (with version 9). Are you using the live bootable cd from their website?
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

I am also using suse9, I had that problem since the first time i installed. my /etc/fstab is like this, If the configuration or hardware detection is wrong:

/dev/hda3 / reiserfs defaults 1 1
    /dev/hda1 /windows/C ntfs ro,users,gid=users,umask=0002,nls=iso8859-1 0 0
    /dev/hda2 swap swap pri=42 0 0
    devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs noauto 0 0
    /dev/dvd /media/dvd auto ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /media/floppy auto noauto,user,sync 0 0
    /dev/cdrecorder /media/cdrecorder auto ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0
    /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom auto ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0

Originally posted here by Nokia
    I have a simialr prob at the mo, I dont get no error messages and to all intents and purposes my music cds are playing but I cant hear any sound.

Ive tried to google it to but it sounds like i had the same results as you did.

Im very close to sacking SuSE all toghether.

Oh you sack of ****. You both don't know how to configure an OS so it's crap? Google is NOT the SUSE installation manuals you got when you bought it. Open them up, and Read The ****ing Manuals.

Then open up YAST2 and go to the Hardware configuration part and find the bit where you configure the CD-ROM drives, and make sure they are both in the Fstab. You have to click "Apply" which I know, is so hard to do, but together I think you guys can pull it off.

With this machine I'm on now, both CD-ROMs work fine, but first I have to open YAST2 and make sure they are configured. I didn't call it **** because it didn't pop up with a blow job and a question if I'd like my ass kissed and my hands held while it configured a CD-ROM.

Mandrake on the other hand, I have to configure the **** by hand to make these two CD-ROMs works. Another thing, do you have sound at all? Depending on the sound card, there are more than "Master volume" things to turn up. PCM is another that you need to turn up to hear things.

Now, I have to run, because my Cousin screwed up his machine, and I'm fixing it for pills.

As a so called senior member with that many posts under your belt, I would have thought you would know better than to try and take the piss out of someone who doesnt know how to do something.

Im sorry im not as 1337 as you when it comes to using an O/S ive dabbled with for 3 weeks, but ofcourse you where always the guru with Linux and never had to ask a question right from the first day you used it, right?

No?...I didnt think so.

Hmm, actually, besides when I first installed it, and used it for my first time, besides asking a question about TTYs, which the thread is here somewhere, as it was just last year that I started using Linux, that is correct. I have rarely asked a question about Linux.I took the "RTFM" advice and used that.

Three weeks? By then I had manual updates figured out, I had no choice. I had taken my Windows partition out and installed just Linux on my at the time only machine.

What's this "You're a senior you should know better" Bullshit?

I'm not a Senior member, my title says BOFH, not senior member. And when you come here all like "Ohh I'll dump SUSE" And now I find out you've used it a whole 3 weeks... Man, go ahead. Giving up after 3 weeks because it's to much to do.... Sad bastard.

Blah...Giving up that fast because it doesn't work for you the first few trys..... Man, don't even talk to me.

"Im sorry im not as 1337 as you when it comes to using an O/S ive dabbled with for 3 weeks, but ofcourse you where always the guru with Linux and never had to ask a question right from the first day you used it, right?

No?...I didnt think so."

LOL it's cute how you were all confident in your answer. Like you were sitting there like "I know, I'll bring him to my level! Then when I make him realise no one is born a guru I'll make that my whole defense".

Super, but sorry, I never had problems with CDs besides with Mandrake, which I dumped after like 3 days.

Not contradiction, controversy, Actually I used Mandrake and Open Linux for about 3 months, but I didn't like it much, I used SUSE and Slackware, and continue to.

Whatever, You are good in giving other **** than the solution. Nevermind, I do not even have ****ing manual as you mentioned RTFM. The one I got is copy from my friend of my friend. I hope I am not misusing GPL. But there may be thousands,if not millions like me.

I may have to reinstall suse, If I may get right with this cd thingy. If not it may/will be better learning process than to mention anything else.

Thanks anyway.

The reason SUSE costs money at all is because it comes with a lot of software NOT under the GPL. Which is why when you use a downloaded version it's so small. They can't put software that needs a license in for free. So the GPL has nothing to do with everything on a SUSE installation CD.

And as for not having a manual.... Well, that would explain the questions you've asked, but the fact that about 70,000,000 sites are online with books about Linux for free reading, that is your own choice. I won't report you for piracy, but at least go to http://www.linux.org and http://www.suse.com and read the online documentation.

and as for giving you other **** than the solution...It's not like I get paid to put up with you, so don't bitch, you got what you paid for. Take that however you want, and include the OS you own a pirated copy of too. You didn't pay for me, or SUSE, so don't expect either to give you anything. I come here willingly.

I've helped enough people who pay for what they own, and written enough installation helps that when someone bitches and says I don't help at all, I think I can safely say you can blow me if you don't like it. This isn't the only site on the Internet, and no one here is going to stick up for you when a lot of people here are coders who probably like being paid for what they work on.

Maybe next time you have a problem, you'll pay for what you took and get the "****ing manuals". Hmm, you're right, I'm good at giving **** other than a solution. Heh, too bad. You don't even know the number of people on here I've spent hours with setting up Linux FOR them when they did the first install.

Then again, they didn't install it without ever reading a manual or knowing how to use anything then bitch at people who listed possible solutions.

Just wondering, have you tried the "other" CD-ROM on your computer, logged in as root? Or maybe popping open Kamix and seeing if the volume for "Master" and "PCM" and any other "PCM" tab is turned up? Seeing as how mounting can only be done by root, which is something you learn by reading manuals that come with software you pay for, or downloading them from pages I listed, but then again I only give **** anyway right?