Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: suse is crap on finding cdrom

Lets see, I spent a grand total of $240 for my Office 97, Visual Studios.net(6 cds), Home XP, XP Pro, and Office XP. The price is so high because I bought the Home XP from a retail store(I know stupid me). All legit cds. I also have a couple of linux distros that I paid for along with all the books that were bought.
    And by the way, I have a copy of Suse that I got for free.

With XP Pro coming in alone at $199 ($125 for upgrade), and Home at $80 - $90 (same for upgrade), I don't see how you could have all of those products legally for $240. Of course, you could always purchase it off of ebay, but I wouldn't ever trust OS licensing on a level in which you -hope- the person selling these did not already release the cd-keys into the wild. Even then, I've never seen a legit copy of XP pro and Home on Ebay for less than $80-100. I could be wrong of course, and I do completely believe you own legal copies.

I am just willing to bet the math needs to be redone

And by the way, I have a copy of Suse that I got for free.
    An unofficial ISO file that was illegal by Suse standards until a week ago? Just like OpenBSD, they do not allow official iso downloads and dsitrobutions without a cd purchase. Suse requires FTP and OpenBSD requires you to download the tree and turn it into an ISO yourself. If it is a copy of Suse Pro, it's pirating. If it is an ISO premade file, it isn't exactally pirating, but then again if they would have wanted you to always just copy their ISO files (even the free version) then it wouldn't have just been implented a week ago ( the ability to legally download them)

All just a matter of tastes, of course.

quote:
    I am just willing to bet the math needs to be redone

pooh sun tzu, I wouldn't put too much money on that bet if I were you. And no these are not off e-bay. If microsoft came looking on my computers, I would have no worries.

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    Ahh, im almost 'clean' on bought software. I have every suse version from SuSE 6.0 to 8.1 (hmm, or 8.2) which is an original bought version. I admit, my suse 9.0 is a copy from a friend, since im a bit low on cash lately, but i promise to buy 9.1 Pro

Im usually a stingy SOAB, but since i had the honour of going to Munich to the SuSE courses (admin, netadmin 1, netadmin 2, and security) and had a chance to learn alot in a class about it, i was so fond of it all. Its more than worth the money, alone the books that come along with every distro is worth the money on its own, and SuSE's support in general is awesome too. Ive met some of the programmers for SuSE in person, and they work very very hard... so why not support them, afterall, SuSE is an EXCELLENT OS. Especially if you come from the windows world, SuSE helps you alot to 'switch' over understanding things. Now for the ones that would say "SuSE is not real linux, and its like win due to the GUI and YAST and all that crap, well... you can use and setup SuSE as bare as any other *nix OS, it all depends on YOU to do it right.

I hope im gonna get paid these days, so that i can go out and buy myself SuSE 9.1 atlast.

Cheers.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"