Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrading Bios..

IMHO Millenium has to be the biggest ****-up of an O/S that has ever been produced!
    Agreed and can relate to I'm uninstalling WinMe and adding a flavour of linux probably, if not then Win2k. I hear it's fairly decent.

I think that we both agree that Win98SE is the best of the "home OS" offerings from Microsoft?
    Agreed again. My Win98 box is extremely stable, and when kept up-to-date in term's of update's (which isn't hard) is as good stability wise as my OpenBSD baby. Both have an uptime of 41 day's as of right now.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Agreed!

Ive never managed to have Me 100% stable on any high end platform. I find it seems to cope well enough with things like celeron,durons on budget systems though!.

Well Spyder~

Both have an uptime of 41 day's as of right now.
    WinME will not work like that IMHO. You need to shut it down and re-boot every day, or the memory leaks will getcha!

Do try Win2K, it is an excellent OS, but will not support older games, or DOS apps that well.

AntiOnline n00b
    Hi

Agreed and can relate to I'm uninstalling WinMe and adding a flavour of linux probably, if not then Win2k. I hear it's fairly decent.
    You got a Win 2000 Fan right here...i am using windows 2000 Advanced Server since( i don't exactly remember it was a long time back). before that i used WindowsNT. w2k gave me the flexibility to use FAT 16 ,FAT 32 and NTFS and Primary partation can now be made larger than 2 GB...was good performence wise(because i don't have a state of the art high end PC ) .....

I don't like windows 98 and Me because the running program is so tightely bound to the system that sometimes a error in some running program/process makes the whole OS de-stable.....thats the only thing i have against them...and thats why i stopped using them.........and XP way over my Computer Configuration.......

All-in-all Windows 2000 Advanced Server is a good....Stable OS...... i wouldn't let go of it as yet....

--Good Luck--

Sorry i'm a bit late Replying to all the knew Post's, but i had to go to sleep i was getting Tired and Coffee wasn't doing it's job..

"By grind to a halt!........ it was not like what you just experienced......It will work but the Computer will become slow..Dead Slow...... it will work you can install XP ....If he is hell bent on XP you can give him XP.........it's like you should not do that but you cound do that......just by just pulling a HarD disk from another Computer and putting it on another computer will not work most of the time.....until they both have the Same Configuration......i am sure that what you are experiencing..

I found that it installed alright, then once you started installing stuff like Nortan, ZoneAlarm, then installed a few games it just became a little to unstable for my liking..

Here .:front2back:. you can Check for the upgardes simply click on BIOS Agent will identify the BIOS on your system and provide you with all of the information that you will need to order your new BIOS..Max Upgradable Verson Etc...Etc.

Flash BIOS upgrade
    That was a pretty handy little link you shot me swordfish. I found the right upgrade in the end, and i'm glad that i didn't use the Upgrade that i was planning on using, as it turned out to be the wrong one

Well, F2B, with those specs, I would say that WIN98 SE would be my OS of choice. WinME should be OK as you have more than 256Mb of RAM, but I am assuming that your friend shuts down after each session? (ME does tend to suffer from memory leaks). Please do not attempt to run WinXP..............it will work, but very badly...........so I might have to bring you before the High Council on a charge of "operating system abuse" ................like you would not be giving it a fair chance?
    Well Nihil in the end i partitioned the Hard-Disk and i've got it running Win98Se with a dual boot of Red Hat 7.2..
    And my friend isn't the sort of person that shut's the Box down when he's finished..
    so I might have to bring you before the High Council on a charge of "operating system abuse"
    Now that wouldn't be the first time that's happened..

cheers
    F2B:.

hey swordfish i used that utility and it sux at least for my current computer, but take a look...

Your BIOS Report Results

BIOS ID: Unknown
    OEM Sign-On: None
    BIOS Date: 05/03/01
    BIOS Type: Other
    Chipset: AMD 700E rev 18
    Super I/O: VIA 686 rev 64 found at port 14h
    BIOS ROM Socket: No
    BIOS ROM Size: 256K
    Memory Installed: 384 MB
    Memory Max: 1536 MB
    CPU: AMD Athlon 1000 Mhz MAX: 2000 Mhz

...this is some weird **** man, hey nihil EZDrive sounds familiar but cant remember what that is again...iand i tried compaq drivers and support site for my Compaq Presario 7000US, but u see mine is custom built...so it really isnt that model #....also tried that boot menu (F10) but it doesnt say what BIOS it is under main tab...

AntiOnline n00b
    hi scriptkiddie18

hey swordfish i used that utility and it sux at least for my current computer, but take a look...
    That utility was not for you ..i specifafically said for .:front2back:.

see......
    Here .:front2back:. you can Check for the upgardes simply click on BIOS Agent will identify the BIOS on your system and provide you with all of the information that you will need to order your new BIOS..Max Upgradable Verson Etc...Etc.
    Sorry for the misunderstanding but that utility will work only for Award BIOS.....

Goo into the BIOS Setup in your PC ( it's generally DEL key on startup don't know about COMPAQ ) in the setup it must be written on top generally is......

Or Call the COMPAQ Customes Care /Help Desk or something they might be able to help you ...

--Good Luck--

Scriptkiddie~

Please open another thread for this one...........you are talking Compaq............and another BIOS?

It is F10 to get into Compaq BIOS setup

I am only asking this because Compaq kit is very common, particularly old, ex-corporate ones?.........well I have 4...........286,386,486,PI............biggest single manufacturer representation in my museum

I have a load of Compaq diagnostics and the like.........all legit. and public domain..........

I would like to help, but I do believe that we need another thread?

Cheers