The Random Shutdown?...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Random Shutdown?...

Unhappy The Random Shutdown?...

Hey all,

Done with school (just graduated, w00t) and back on AO.

It's good that I can finally sit down again and read everything that's changed here
    ...but anyway.

My computers having a bit of a problem here, it seems to want to randomly reboot itself whenever it wants?

I am running Windows XP right now and have run Norton AV countless times and have also tried www.housecall.com ...no viruses, so I ran a scanner from DOS... no virus. So I am safe in saying this Isn't a virus here... or am I

I really am having a hard time figuring this out, I know my computers not overheating or anything I have kept it in good check all the time.

Maybe it's something in the settings but I don't know what? For some reason or another it just reboots itself?

I hope I've given enough information thus far, I really apreciate any insight into this problem you may give as I have become somewhat frustrated here.

Thanks again,

-- Peace
    The real question is not whether peace can be obtained, but whether or not mankind is mature enough for it...

AO French Antique News Whore
    Did you check your event viewer for error? Go in your Control Panel, System, Advanced, StartUp and Recovery Setting and Automatic Restart. Is option on or off?

Did you try running a Linux CD Boot Disk for a entire night while you're sleeping to see if it would crash Linux also?
    -Simon \"SDK\"

AntiOnline n00b
    Hi

First of all let me Congrulate both of you THE RADICAL for completing his graduation..and SDK for his new Custom Title "AO French Antique News Whore" ........i am my self about to complete my Masters Degree .......

If it's not Over heating then my second guess would be Worm....Blaster ...Do you have a Good Trojan Remover ...i would suggest you give TDS 3 a try......it's Shareware....See if it finds something..because Antivirus are not good at removing trojans .......

And also try to see as SDK said .....Does it reboot on other OS's too ..then it might be something related to either Heating or Hardware ........if not then it will be someting related to either a Virus/Worm or Windows OS...it will narrow your search down a bit....

--Good Luck--

Try booting it up in safe mode and leave it for a while.

If it doesnt reboot itself the it is more than likley a software probelm.

If it does reboot than chances are it is a hardware problem!

You could have a quich check to make sure your heatsink+fan are correctly fitted, check your memory is correctly fitted and check the CPU is fitted.

It may sound daft but I had a box in a few weeks ago that kept rebooting for no apparent reason, after trying a few things, I took the cpu out gave it a blow and put it back in, then I done the same with the memory and the computer was fine after that!

The most common hardware cause that I have come accross that cause reboots are incorrectly fitted fans or the wrong fan alltogether and harddrives being to close to something else and over heating!
    Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system.

http://tazforum.**********.com/

Some other thoughts?

Does this "random" event occur randomly over time............like how long and how short are the time periods? and that is a re-boot, not a system shutdown?

Does it happen only when you are/are not connected to the net?

Does it happen if you boot into safe mode?

In the meantime please look for software that you had on trials that heve now expired, and uninstall them.

What AV and firewall software are you running?

Are you overclocking anything?

What videocard and soundcard combination are you running?

What are your temperature values?

Please go into your BIOS and set the machine to be on all the time (in the BIOS settings)
    Turn off any power saving in the display controls
    Turn off any screensavers.

Cheers

Hey all-

Thanks for the feedback, I think I figured out the problem.

After taking everyones thoughts into consideration I narrowed it down to being a hardware issue. I didn't notice anything wrong until I shook the case a little. BAM, shutdown and then it rebooted itself again. Hmm... I wondered. So I examned every part of the system and found that one of the wires that was supposed to be connected to the HD was barely hanging on. I shoved that thing in there as tight as possible again and things have been running smoothly ever since.

I'd like to think the base in my subwoofer vibrated it loose...

Thanks again to everyone for thier feedback, you helped a lot in the problem solving process.

-- Peace
    The real question is not whether peace can be obtained, but whether or not mankind is mature enough for it...

Originally posted here by THE RADICAL
    This is for the people who have talked to me on IRC:

They all know that my sub on one of my computers is loud, and that you can hear people sign on my buddy list down the road. Well, I finally can say, I have a neighboor that can hear it:

A while ago, I got new neighboors, they are cool as hell, and the girl is a cheer leader and hot. Anyway, one day I was talking to her Mom, and she was laughing about how her daughter was going to the movies, and put up an away message on AIM. She heard a message pop up, so she went back in like "OK, someone messaged me".

Well, she walked in and seen no one was messaging her, and couldn't figure out what was going on, thinking maybe her Mom had signed on, so she thought nothing of it and walked away. She hears it again and walks back in to check and see who it was, and couldn't figure out what was going on because no one had left a message, and her Mom was not there.

After 5 times, she realised it was me. LOL. Her Mom was laughing so hard. And so was I of course. She heard me talking to someone on AIM, and could hear it in the house. I had the speakers up loud because I was listening to Lords of Acid, and started talking to someone when they had messaged me, and she could hear it in her house.

I still laugh about this. I've never even talked to her yet, but I've talked to her Mom a few times, and her Mom rocks. Her Mom was saying how her Daughter installed Kazaa back on the computer and she was worried about getting in trouble for downloading music, and I was laughing like "Hey, I'll make up a paper for you and leave it on the door making it look like it's from the RIAA to play a joke on her" And she loved it.

Her Mom has a sence of humor, needless to say we get along great!

Errrrrrrrr?

I wouldn't

Subwoofers kill hard drives..................please move it away................I believe that it is the low frequency resonance..........??????????/

Cheers

Banned
    Originally posted here by THE RADICAL
    Hey all-

Thanks for the feedback, I think I figured out the problem.

After taking everyones thoughts into consideration I narrowed it down to being a hardware issue. I didn't notice anything wrong until I shook the case a little. BAM, shutdown and then it rebooted itself again. Hmm... I wondered. So I examned every part of the system and found that one of the wires that was supposed to be connected to the HD was barely hanging on. I shoved that thing in there as tight as possible again and things have been running smoothly ever since.

Thanks again to everyone for thier feedback, you helped a lot in the problem solving process.

-- Peace
    Switch out the powersupply cord from the hardrive with another since there should be atleast six?
    I'm thinking its a power issue.

Gore yes indeed if that is a sub it's probably not shielded heavy bass can and will wreak damage to sensitive components. Though I have two Cerwin Vega 15" subs howling for the intense 1st person shooters I play I have seen no damage, windows shake when I play in my home.

I play bass. I've had a huge amount of it pump through my room. Trust me, I've had this thing looud, and my amps loud enough that people down the road were like "Holy ****!" and I still haven't had a problem with my machines. What kind fo components are fragile against sound waves? Well, I meen against bass. Anything can be shattered usually, but Bass is usually the last thing you think about when you think of a glass getting shattered. High pitched noises damage a lot of things, but bass, I've never seen it happen.