Thread: sos call from india.....plzz help

help

he
    Last edited by ashu_sunish; March 26th, 2007 at 08:52 AM.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    You do realize that Yahoo does have a mechanism in place to file a complaint? While the IP can be retrieved from full headers of an email it may or may not be accurate because of the potential use of proxies. In addition, you can get a general idea of where a person might be (that is country, state, province, etc.) but it won't be down to the city or anything more definate.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Hi Sunish,

I guess you are either the victim of a prank (joke) or a malicious person................?

No, you cannot reliably trace the location.......................for example if you fired a 100megaton nuclear device at my location, you would miss me by miles .........It is the ISP's location.............NOT mine.

Might I suggest that you change your mail/IM accounts, and be more careful in future?

Good luck

for example if you fired a 100megaton nuclear device at my location, you would miss me by miles .........It is the ISP's location.............NOT mine.
    HAHA! Yeh, same here I live a good road trip from mine. But anyboo, like nihil said your the victim of a joke or a malicious person. You should change your email to something different and see if the person send's more mail to you. If they do, then it's probably a friend pulling a prank. If not, then you got rid of the stalker.

Now of course if you know 100% it's not a friend/family pulling a joke, then DEFINITELY use MsM's advice and file a complaint to yahoo.
    Space For Rent.. =]

I personally think you should file a complaint reguardless of whether it's a friend or not b/c they deserve a good scare. Although the direct answer to your question is in the second link in my signature below, you would almost undoubtedly be better off with MsM's initial advice b/c half the links in my sig are just to quickly answer n00bish questions that come up frequently and will probably lead to trouble (You don't want trouble, you want control of the situation).

I like your signature keezel
    Space For Rent.. =]

I'd have to go with everyone else, and just change your email addresse, at least that way if the emails start to appear on the new email then you defiantly know if it's a friend or someone close that is playing this rather stupid prank on you..

cheers
    f2b:.

he
    Last edited by ashu_sunish; March 26th, 2007 at 08:53 AM.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Last time I checked, India was a large nation. In addition, there are a lot of Indian proxies. So even if the IP shows to be an "indian" one it's not entirely indicative that the user is located in India.

The only way that I can see you getting the address itself, since most of the communication goes through the Yahoo servers, is a direct connect (that is, sending a file, opening a webcam, etc.) and then typing netstat -a. The other way would be to get this person to send you an email. But as I said, it's not accurate if they are using a proxy.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage