Website Cut Out .. Please Help

Thread: Website Cut Out .. Please Help

Website Cut Out .. Please Help

When i connect to the internet (ADSL) i'm able to download about 10/15 websites before my computer just seems to stop being able to download and display websites. The connection isn't cut off as i'm still able to use Messenger programs and ping remote servers

I'm currently running Windows XP Pro with a Sygate Personal Firewall. Both are configured to work correctly as far as i know.

Does anyone have any idea of what maybe the problem ? I'd be really greatful. At the moment i have to restart my computer after downloading the 10 / 15 websites which really sucks.

Thanks in advance.
    -

Just wondering why are you downloading websites?
    Or you using a WebSite grabbing program? Maybe that's what is causing the trouble as it might be hogging the Bandwidth, and then making your Box so unstable that it's doing what it is doing..
    I know some of those grabbing type programs can get a little heavy on the CPu and maybe this is what's causing the problem..

f2b:.

OK,

Might be totally irrelevant, but you did say "downloading websites", and that you use a high speed connection (ADSL).

Could it be that you are filling up your browser's cache?

Websites are pretty large?

Easy to test..................just double the cache size in your browser settings, and see if it lets you download more?

Just a thought

EDIT: Another possibility that there is some sort of bandwidth/sharing restriction going on, based on your IP address................if you re-connect to ADSL you will probably get a new address, which would let you continue................it would be a pretty crude system if that were the case, but it is just possible.

shouldn't the cache be fifo ( firtst in first out )..

I never heared about browser cache filling up and disrupting the flow of information..

Could it be that some "dialer" type software is messing with your connection..
    I had a friend connectiong thrue a proxy on 127.0.0.1 port 8080 by spyware . .
    That slowed his connection down to unbrowseable speeds..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

AntiOnline n00b
    shouldn't the cache be fifo ( firtst in first out )..

I never heared about browser cache filling up and disrupting the flow of information..
    Nope dosen't work the way it should be...there is a maximum limit you can set to the amount taken up by the Temporary Internet Files folder.....When the Cache is filled up the internet Explorer starts to act very weird.....like not showing pictures on web pages or sometimes not allowing jpeg and gif's to be saved as jpeg's or gif's but only BMP's and many more wierd thngs i have noticed.....( yes i know sounds strange but true).....

you will have to either empty it manually..or by setting "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed"....

Try Increasing the size of your Cache.....

I am not sure mikester2 what do you mean by Downloading websited do you mean like FrontoBack said using a WebSite grabbing program and downloading the whole website...but most of the WebSite grabbing program have their own cache......or do you mean ..viewing 10-15 websites on your browser...... can you please clarify....

--Good Luck--

I have to agree with Jinxy here

I've encountered very similar problems from spyware and legitimate programs. The situation you are experiencing can be caused by any program that actively looks for a persistent connection to report back to a remote data collection server. If the server being reported to is offline, renamed, new static IP or whatever, the program on your PC may use all of your available bandwidth trying to find the remote server. Borderbund software had a big problem with this a few years ago, Symantec had a similar problem a few months back, Yahoo tool bars can cause this condition if Internet filtering software is blocking access to the remote server, etc... You can check out your task manager the next time your Internet access slows to a crawl, and probably be able to identify the process that is causing the problem.

Also if you have recently installed any new software or plugins, I would look at removing the most recent app and see if this clears up the problem.
    The mentally handicaped are persecuted in this great country, and I say rightfully so! These people are NUTS!!!!

AntiOnline n00b
    hi OverdueSpy

Yes me too agree with Jinx here .....

More chances are that you have some trojan or worm...but you never know sometimes the problem is not in the most ovious places....

happened to me many times last time it was blaster(or some other worm)....for first 10-15 minutes my internet Connection worked fine then it started to open many connection at least 6-9... and slowing my dial up to such a extent that i was not able to browse.......

if clearing the cache dosen't work..try this close all the browsers and then open command Prompt and type netstat and see if there are still some exteblished connestions...

and try netstat -a to see all listenimg ports..and if you see any unsual port open google for it....

Scanning with Housecall and get a good a Trojan Remover ..like TDS -3 or Moosoft the Cleaner would be a good option......

--Good luck--

Thanks for all the replies. When i said "downloading websites" i just meant downloading them with a browser and viewing them. Sorry if i didn't word that very well. I suck at english.

Anyway i checked out all the possible solutions but it turned out to be down to the fact i'd recently changed to sygate personal firewall from zone alarm pro 3. I don't think i'd uninstalled zone alarm correctly and it was still running as a service (trueVector). When i found this out i disabled the service and restarted because it was stopping the newly installed sygate firewall from working correctly.

I don't know how but zonealarm didn't like this and came up with a website after 15 minutes or so of surfing the net saying that it had detected it' trueVector service had been disabled so
    it was locking down the computer.

The only way i was able to surf the net for longer than 15 minutes was to do a system restore to a few days before i'd disabled the trueVector service.

Please help me ..... does anyone know how i can uninstall Zone Alarm Pro 3. I've checked in "program install/uninstall" but the program isn't listed there. All the Zone Alarm program files have been deleted from their folder, and if i just manually disable the trueVector service i can't surf the web for more than 15 minutes.
    -