Thread: Recovering Data

Recovering Data

I have got this problem. This lady at my work is going ballistic she has these huge charts and she saved them onto a 31/2 floppy disk (she didn't save them on anything else). She must have done something to this disk because you are unable to read any of the files.

When I open the floppy up I can see the files, but if I click on any of the files it goes into an eternal find mode. It just keeps checking and re-checking the files. So I am wondering how to recover these files?

I am running Windows 2k and they were created in Word and Excel on a W2k OS.

- MilitantEidolon
    Yeah thats right........I said It!

Ultimately everyone will have their own opinion--this is mine.

Well I have never had this problem before but you could try downloading one of these programs.
    http://www.webattack.com/Freeware/sy...recovery.shtml

Did you try to copy the files onto the computer ? Sometimes simple answers are harder to remeber

Nemory

Yeah I tried that, but no matter what even when the files get highlighted the drive tries to read it and it is not able to find anything.

DeadAddict

Thanks, I will check the link.

- MilitantEidolon

Congulations Dead Addict you are todays lucky winner!

Thanks it worked.

- MilitantEidolon

<EDIT> Sorry I was typing while you posted that the problem was solved!

I am assuming that you tried to open the diskett in another computer and that failed.

Next I would try to diskcopy the Diskette, and run a scandisk on the original. Oh yeah, after doing a disk copy you may be able to put the file on your HDD and open it from there. You might be able to open the file with notepad instead of the MS Office suite too. Worth a try anyways. Good luck.
    The mentally handicaped are persecuted in this great country, and I say rightfully so! These people are NUTS!!!!