Thread: Communicating with other Computers on Network

Communicating with other Computers on Network

Is there a way one can communicate with other computers on the same network? I'm not talking like Windows Messenger or anything, but some command in DOS. I remember reading it about somewhere. For instance, lets say I'm on Computer 1 and I want to send Computer 7 a private message, something like that. If it is possibly, can something like that be done on Mac as well?

Wow, it’s been so long since I last posted here. I wonder if any of the other older members are still around today.
    Help stop date rape, put out.

The Recidivist
    I believe your thinking of the net send command. As far as can it be done in mac, im positive that it can be done in osX but not sure about anything under that.
    "Where the tree of knowledge stands, there is always paradise": thus speak the oldest and the youngest serpents.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

Its usage is net send ipaddress messages

Caution: It is based on icmp protocal£¬So make sure that both of your machine have no firewalls configured that blocks icmp packets.IMPORTANT!

You should do a help on net on windows.

On *nix. Do a w command
    then

write <user> <tty> enter
    then your message

the only problem with the net send message is that in some places it is disabled because of domain security policy... also (a warning) is that net send messages are stored in the event log
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM