Zone Alarm Trouble
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zone Alarm Trouble

Hoopy Frood

Question Zone Alarm Trouble

I just downloaded and installed Zone Alarm last night. Installation worked just fine and then I configured it, but I'm having a very unique problem with it. I'm trying to surf the web and everything (I've told it to allow both my webbrowsers complete access. (mozilla and IE)) and Zone Alarm will stop me from browsing. IE says "Cannot find server." I try again just a few seconds (like 3) after that and it works. Give it a few more seconds and it can't find the server again, wait a few more seconds and it the problem is fixed again. It does this forever as far as I can tell. I know it is ZA because the problem stops when I close ZA completely. I've checked all the settings and it still does it. It's not an IE problem because Mozilla does it also. Any suggestions? I've already tried uninstalling, rebooting, and reinstalling it. Thanks!

Xierox

P.S. If it helps, I'm on 56k.
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

you might try putting the gateway ip address (the ip address of the computer that you dial into) into the "trusted" zone for computers... also, are you using the windows dial-up client or a third party one?
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

If you have Zonealarm and Windows 2000, you should allow "Internet Information Services" and "Services and Controller app" (both windows services) access to the internet. If these services are blocked, you won't be able to surf.
    Do you happen to be running win2k?

Source

PS - still looking

Hoopy Frood
    Thanks for the replies! I'm running Windows XP and using windows' default TCP/IP to connect, no third party software. I'll try what you said about inputing the computer I dial into the Trusted Zones after I get off of work, but until then, any other ideas?

Another thing that's kind of odd is that I'll slide the sliders that control how strict I want the Firewall to be (there's two of them) to "low" and it says the firewall should be off, but it still has the problem.

-- Søren Kierkegaard

I'm having trouble finding anything about this particular problem. But hey, you can always try a diff firewall.

Sygate Personal Firewall
    Tiny Personal Firewall
    Outpost

^All listed above are free, and sorry I can't be of much more help but there's a good chance somebody else lurkin' around here will be.

Hoopy Frood
    Originally posted here by keezel
    I'm having trouble finding anything about this particular problem. But hey, you can always try a diff firewall.

Sygate Personal Firewall
    Tiny Personal Firewall
    Outpost

^All listed above are free, and sorry I can't be of much more help but there's a good chance somebody else lurkin' around here will be.
    Thanks! I probably will try one of those firewalls if we can't get my current problem fixed.

-- Søren Kierkegaard

I suggest OutPost (I have it) and it work's very well. That would be my suggestion to you if your current problem isn't worked out.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Hoopy Frood
    Originally posted here by Spyder32
    I suggest OutPost (I have it) and it work's very well. That would be my suggestion to you if your current problem isn't worked out.
    Is it free? I'm really only interested in a free firewall. (I won't be using it forever, in a couple months I may upgrade to wireless and then I'll buy a router.)

-- Søren Kierkegaard

From browsing the ZoneAlarm user forums...http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/ it seems that version 5 is the most recent and is apparently buggy....most people recommend that you fall back to 4.5 and that there is still a link on the ZA website to get it. However, you said that you have the browsers set to allow for the internet...did you do the same for the Generic Host Process? I ditched ZA 'cause SP2 done broked it....but this site looks pretty helpful if you do get it working... http://don.hoover.net/index.html GL

~Edit, if you use a wireless router most people would still recommend a s/w firewall on any box that is connected through the router.

Is it free? I'm really only interested in a free firewall.
    Yeah man, Outpost is totally free. At least, the version I linked to is free, but there's a version that you can pay for...