Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zone Alarm Trouble

Hoopy Frood
    Originally posted here by keezel
    Yeah man, Outpost is totally free. At least, the version I linked to is free, but there's a version that you can pay for...
    Thank you very much. I think I'm going to dump ZA and try these out. Thank you for your help, everyone!!
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

Hoopy Frood

Unhappy

I think I may be an idiot. Let me know if that is the case. I was also running XP's firewall at the same time as ZA. Could this have been the source of the problem? (I can't test it now, I've already uninstalled ZA and I really don't want to reinstall it just to see...)

Regards,
    Xierox

-- Søren Kierkegaard

Yes,

That could well be it, also what antivirus are you using? a lot of the big name pay for ones won't work with ZA.

Try setting up ZA not to start on boot up. Then boot, then start ZA manually..............that will probably work

Well I have had it happen...................

Cheers

PS. I am sorry I cannot do any testing for you as I had to dump ZA from my XP box when I installed PC-cillin 2004

Just about any time you run 2 or more firewalls ( including antiviruses and spyware programs) at the same time, you are going to have problems. Now you can have 2 or more of any of these programs on your computer (excluding Nortons) as long as you only have one running at any time.
    They have a tendency to conflict with each other.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

In the past I would have said to plug on - and I would agree with Nihil and Mox that ZA and XP's firewall can conflict - in fact I'm almost certain they do. However like a lot of people recently I have dumped ZA (I was running ZA pro rather than the free version) as my software firewall for several reasons - one of which being the AV conflicts as described by Nihil (but using a different AV) - the other is that I'm really not at all happy with ZA's latest offering v5. Way too much being bundled in with it that I can see causing problems coupled with the latest round of exploits for ZA/ZAP I decided it was time to call it a day with ZAP. See the other posts for other firewall recommendations

Z

edit

you might try putting the gateway ip address (the ip address of the computer that you dial into) into the "trusted" zone for computers... also, are you using the windows dial-up client or a third party one?
    incidentally... ZA/ZAP should do this automatically - or more precisely show a popup saying it's detected a new network and do you want to allow it. This step should not be necessary on a working copy of ZA
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Hoopy Frood
    The new replies are appreciated!

-- Søren Kierkegaard

Yes i too have 56k but you should really check your internet options to change some of the security do the same with ZoneAlarm too because it works fine for me! and yes it is free to download.

Hoopy Frood
    FWIW, I'm now using Sygate. I did download an use Outpost for a day, but in the process I did a large download overnight, leaving my computer unattended and I came back to it in the morning to find myself flooded with the Messenger popup ads. It made me a little curious if it let those through, what else would it. Sygate seems to work nicely and it's very easy to use.

-- Søren Kierkegaard