*Nix or Windows

Thread: *Nix or Windows

Banned

*Nix or Windows

There hasn't been a which is better *nix or Windows Thread in a while. Now first rule, to this one, don't say. Nix and then don't say **** else. Have a reason, and have info to support everything you say. I really would hate to see, someone try to say one and not support what they say, because I am going to argue against you if, you don't give anything intelligent, and supported.

I will post my thoughts, with facts behind it later.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    First, a question: why have one of these?

Second, I find both have their purposes and uses. And find the quality of the OS depends a lot on the quality of the person using it. I've been very happy with Slackware because of stability and its ability to force me to understand more and to question more. I've also been happy with XP for it's ease of use and flexibility with new products.

Can I say all three? (I also use Mac on the side for graphics and soon --- music now that I've ordered an iPod Mini )
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Yeh, gotta agree. Each to his own has it's advantage's/disadvantages and could be useful to some while useless to other's. And like MsMitten's stated, the quality of an OS depend's on the quality of the user. My Win98 box is extremely stable and work's very well, better than my friend Ryan's Redhat system. But hey, it's how you use it and what you do with it.

now that I've ordered an iPod Mini
    Wow, really? Let me know how that is, I've wanted one for awhile but never got around to getting one. I heard they were awesome to listen to music with.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Banned
    Because I want to, pretty much.
    That and most people usually just say, well (*nix is better.) No reason, just better.

Ok, XP flexibility???

You definately have me there, what do you mean by flexability.

Though, to be honest, you only giving opinion, which is not what I am asking, I am asking Fact. Fact and Opinion are 2 different things.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=fact

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=opinion

I am going to clarify those, for everyone.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    You want fact?

Have a reason, and have info to support everything you say. I really would hate to see, someone try to say one and not support what they say, because I am going to argue against you if, you don't give anything intelligent, and supported.

I will post my honest opinion, with facts behind it later.
    Ok.. You're confusing me here. I gave you my opinion with facts (that is, the fact that Slackware is stable and the XP is more flexible when it comes to new hardware, which is true -- to a degree -- of many of the Windows platform). Or did you want concrete numbers from something like SiSoft Sandra?

If that's what you're looking for, then go for the stats research then. You'll need comparisons done based on utilities and that's kinda hard to do since some utilities work on one platform but not the other. Both support hardware well but have a different learning curve as to how to implement that. It's the learning curve that results in the "opinion" as to which one is better. The reality is that people will view things differently and this will have an impact. I view a learning curve as something fun. But based on what some of my students reactions are, they aren't interested necessarily in poking around the *nix environment to truly understand it (I said some, not all).

And when I referred to flexibility, I was referring to how it picks up hardware far more easier and has better acceptance of new hardware (in *nix some hardware may require kernel recompile). That recompile does make the kernel faster compared to the bloat of XP, which is almost like having everything compiled into one kernel.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Banned
    There hasn't been a which is better *nix or Windows Thread in a while. Now first rule, to this one, don't say. Nix and then don't say **** else. Have a reason, and have info to support everything you say. I really would hate to see, someone try to say one and not support what they say, because I am going to argue against you if, you don't give anything intelligent, and supported.

I will post my thoughts, with facts behind it later.
    Who cares about OS when my assembler is better than all of yours! I'll say that I have a reason, and have info to support everything you say yet really say nothing. However I do say this though... I say TASM & NASM sucks balls. First off I invoke... I don't freaking call. And another thing is there is way more support and example code to plagerize from with MASM than any of the other crap out there. MASM users are also smarter and better than all of YOU! Hahaha

The fact that window's plug'n'play almost always makes the installation of new hardware quick and painless is a HUGE plus for me b/c that's what I had the hardest time on with Red Hat. Also the fact that *all* new video games for PC's are immediately released for use with windows....and *sometimes* for Linux later down the road (almost never a high priority). However, when it comes to doing *anything* that's even slightly advanced on the internet, Linux wins hands down (most distributions even come with all kinds of web tools from the start). You can do most of the stuff online with Windows that you can with Linux but it all too often requires downloading third party software to accomplish anything. My opinion is that everything comes down to what you want to use it for. (Oh ya, and as MsM already pointed out - Mac rules graphics). I personally dual-boot Win XP and Red Hat 9.

Windows sucks. Every time I have had the misfortune to have
    to install Windows on a PC, I have experienced unholy grief,
    ranting raving and screaming until the blood vessels in my
    neck stand out all purple and throbbing.

It is loaded with backward compatible kludges like long file names
    being used along side of short file names. Which name is the real
    file name?

They've got this ultra modern file system (NTFS) that was developed in the
    mid 1980s to replace FAT32, which is a kludge of the old msdos file
    system

Networking on ms windows is a collection of hacks (netbios, WINS, what the
    hell is a master browser?) Whenever they grudgingly introduce
    industry standard protocols into their OS, they subtly change things
    to mess with people's heads.

It is a toy os that wants to grow up to be MAC os, but too late, MAC is UNIX now
    What does that tell you?
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.