View Poll Results: Don't vote until you read the opposing opinions! Are the Bush Guard Docs Forgeries?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • No! IMHO They are authentic.

3 21.43%
  • Yes! IMHO They are forgeries.

4 28.57%
  • I don't care! Lets get to the issues.

3 21.43%
  • What documents????? I'm from Mushroom Land.

4 28.57%

Thread: Dead AGP card?

Dead AGP card?

Well. I was messing around with my computer, giving my hard drive and AGP card a new home (motherboard), and when finished putting everything together I tested it. The monitor wouldnt show BIOS, or anything. Seems my AGP card died in the process. Now im on my cheap, $5 PCI video card. Maybe it got staticy or something, I did set it on the carpet and bed a few times . Any ideas? Is there some way I can get that static crap off my AGP card, I cant play counter strike without it.

AO French Antique News Whore
    Carpet is bad for electrostatic electricity
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Yes I know that, but still it was only a few seconds. Is it repairable, or should I get an RMA?

You shouldnt really have put it on your bed or carpet!! lol!

Once its been killed by static it is beyond your means to repair it, You could try replacing different bits if you have spares to se what part has been killed by the static.

If youve changed your Mother Board chances are you put everything on the floor + bed??

You may get lucky and it could just be your G/C that has died or you may be unlucky and it could be the Mother Board that has died.

You say it wont show your BIOS on the screen. Does it boot up at all; i.e, fans spinning, lights coming on etc?

If it starts OK but just doesnt show anything on the screen then you would more than likley be right in saying the AGP card is dead but if it doesnt boot at all them I would say the Mother Board bit the dust!

Either way there is no way to repair it with out replacing some or all of the CMOS and/or MOS chips. I beleive this is what gets effected by static.

I would put it down to a lesson learnt about static (im sure everyone has learnt the same lesson at some time, I know I have!) and replace the part(s) effected!

Old Fart
    One question...are you POSITIVE that you got the card well-seated in the AGP slot? It has been my experience that when an AGP card won't work, the first course of action is to make sure it is FIRMLY seated in the AGP slot. Be careful not to break the m/b, but sometimes you really have to bear down on an AGP card to seat it properly.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

The simple solution is:

Try it in a different machine?

If it works, OK..............otherwise it is dead?

Cheers

Heres the recent update.
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=290991

Basically, I think the BIOS battery is dead or something along those lines, or maybe its the whole motherboard. It does not beep like it should.

Second, I think I might have statically charged the AGP card, making it not work anymore. I'll probablly end up getting a replacement for both.

Dude, cards are not that weak. I put my cards everywhere including the carpet and I have never killed one. I know all the A+ books tell you to almost handle your hardwared with white gloves and tweezers, but they can take a beating.

As for your card being broke, I dunno maybe you broke the AGP slot. The only thing you can do now is test it on another box to make sure that it isn't your box that is messed up. Other than that, you could start trying lots of things:

-replace your bios battery
    -clear your bios (either pull out the battery or there should be a jumper)
    -Test each part one at a time (or leading up to each other)
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

Errrrrrrr?

You said:

Now im on my cheap, $5 PCI video card
    So that should rule out any MoBo or battery problems.............they seem to be working? guess that takes us back to the status of the AGP card and the AGP slot on the MoBo.

I would suggest that you try your AGP card in another machine, or borrow an AGP card and check the MoBo's AGP slot.

I agree with Lansing~............those cards are pretty robust, I have never managed to kill one, and I must have handled hundreds

What "beeps" do you get when you boot, and what is the make/version of your BIOS?

Another thing might be to check that your videocard is compatible with the new MoBo..........take a look at the FAQs on both manufacturers's sites.

What make/model are they, by the way?

Cheers

I dropped my 9600XT on the floor, bent one of the capicitators, bent it back into place, and it still worked. You will know if you shock your card. It feels the same as if you shock a person. PCI cards and AGP cards are a hell of a lot more durable than they look... So are hard drives... I accidently tossed my bookbag into a wall while it had a 2GB hdd in it and it works... Laptops are about the only thing left that really breaks easy from dropping anymore... And thats only the really small ones.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.