Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is this possible?

Why is this possible?

Hi all, currently I'm living in an apartment block that has a 6mbit DSL connection to be shared between tenants. We connect via ssh to the gateway and therefore get internet access. I am on my PowerBook G4 and the other day I clicked the network icon and i was able to see all the default windows workgroups like MSHOME and WORKGROUP. I clicked one of those icons and I could access anybody's box that had sharing enabled, and very few people have passwords!! Why is this possible? Is it SMB? or what? Since I am not in any workgroup they can't see me but I see them.

cheers,

J

What OS are you running?
    <chsh> I've read more interesting technical discussion on the wall of a public bathroom than I have at AO at times

Yeh and maybe I misread something, but why is this in Mac Security Discussions?
    Space For Rent.. =]

I am on my PowerBook G4 and the other day
    Reading helps, Spyder.

LOL soda,

Windows XP has shared folders by default, and If you're in the same network or workgroup with them, you can see those shared folders. Mac Does not have default shared folders AFAIK hence they will not see anything if they were to take a look. Also, if they had a password, you wouldn't be able to see anything they have anyways.

Reading helps, Spyder.
    Ahh, knew I didn't catch something.
    Space For Rent.. =]

BANNED
    Can you remotely connect to any of them using the remote desktop in XP?
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

Originally posted here by muert0
    Can you remotely connect to any of them using the remote desktop in XP?
    Seems like a lot of people don't read.
    I am on my PowerBook G4
    Mac's do not use XP or any windows os.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

BANNED
    I read it and I don't have a mac. I was thinking they may have something that emulated Windows. He did say he could see the shared folders. But like I said I don't have a mac and haven't touched one since they had those green screens.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

For clarification to asking what os he was running, i meant as in version. osX, os9, etc. If its osX its more likely to have a samba type client than say os9.
    <chsh> I've read more interesting technical discussion on the wall of a public bathroom than I have at AO at times