Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Win98 Uptime: Looking to Better

Win98 Uptime: Looking to Better

Heyz people. This thread is actually sparked from gore's paper in the other thread discussing uptime and how some people feel "prideful" about their uptime (myself being one of them). Now, on my little home network (98/Me and OpenBSD) I usually get somewhat good uptime from all three (with OpenBSD being the best, closely followed by Win98). Now I know that it's difficult to have a stable WinMe and my OpenBSD has been on for age's without a reboot but I wanna take more step's toward's making my Win98 box more stable (trust me, it's great right now, but MORE!) and have a better uptime. I wanna get the most outta the machine is basically what I'm trying to say. Now, I'm going to convert to FAT32 in a few day's when I'm ready and I use Disk Cleanup and Maintenence Wizard VERY frequently. But I wanna know what else I could do to keep a good uptime and a nice, stable OS that (as of right now) is as powerful as any linux machine (atleast it seem's that way). Any thought's, comment's, etc are greatly appreciated.
    Space For Rent.. =]

One of the first things that pops into my head is, what applications do you have installed? Also, what drivers?

Most crashes are usually caused because of applications, or drivers, being crap. If you watch what you install, and don't over-do it, and make sure all drivers are from a trusted company, then that should itself start helping out.

Anything over 512 MB RAM in 98 is probably to much for it to handle. Well, not like literally, but some people have problems in 98 after 512 MB.

What software do you have installed? What programs do you use daily on it? What hardware do you have? Make sure you also have proper cooling, heat can make any OS unstable. And of course, Defrag as much as possible. The less Windows has to work to find what you need, the better.

Well, on the regular I use AIM, Outpost, Norton A/V, Windows Media 9, and my browser and that's about it basically (software wise). And I mean, I probably have only downloaded about 5-7 application's/program's so I should be good there. All of my driver's are from a trusted company so no worries there.

Cooling's not an issue as I always have my room very cool and at a good tempature. The cooling in the room never was an issue, actually but thanks for pointing that out. As for Defrag, I just did it 15 minutes ago So all is well with that. I usually do that twice a week and Maintenence Wizard/Disk Cleanup almost every day. Anybody else have suggestion's, tip's, etc? Thanks, all is appreciated.
    Space For Rent.. =]

What firewall do you use? Another thing you may want to consider, is using a "Security Suite". Like Mcafee AV and Firewall, so that way no clashing happens. I've been very happy with Mcafee.

From the sound of it, you have it down pretty well. You use Ad-Aware right?

Hi Spyder~

This is a very interesting topic..............I must admit that I turn everything off on a daily basis, based on the fact that I have to pay the power bills, and that is a waste of good beer money IMHO

I would like to know a bit more about the RAM specs for your setup............I believe that RAM is the key in this area?

I work on the general rule that:

Win98SE........................384-512Mb
    WinME............................512Mb

NEVER use more than 512Mb with a Windows domestic product ...............they become very unstable.

The basic problem is memory leakage.................so an interesting concept might be a memory manager............like a RAM defragmenter?..........we can discuss those a bit later.....

Other problems are likely to come from cache files filling up, so you will need a job scheduler to clear them out?

Please get rid of power saving options, the M$ ones are a typical source of problems

Although I persevere with WinME, I actually prefer Win98SE.............very nice...........but I suppose that I am a Win2K man at heart, having used Win NT4 for so long?

OK, I guess that I had better "come clean" so to speak

Apart from my "museum" I have:

Win95............1
    Win98............1
    Win98SE........2
    WinME............4
    WinNT4...........1
    Win2K.............5
    Win2Kserver...1
    WinXPpro........1

*nix boxes are irrelevant here?

Please be gentle with me, and excuse my ignorance...........racing machines, slow machines, YES....total uptime..........NO...............interesting concept?

Cheers

I apologize Spyder because I'm about to go off topic, but Nihil, you have 4 copies of Windows ME?

The only copy I have is a restore CD for a machine my ex GF ganked when we broke up. Ah well heh, it would be fun to do some more testing on it though now that I have more knowledge about it.

And Spyder, the RAM thing I was talking about, Nihil pin pointed it. More than 512 MB in 98 = BAD.

AO French Antique News Whore
    I have some Win98 that have extremly high up time. (Counting in Month) They run Ca AntiVirus, a House-In application that 10 years old and office without problem.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Just a question is there any sort of program that can be used to check the uptime of a Win98Se Box??
    I know with Linux you can, but i haven't been able to find anything for a Win98 Box..
    Anyone got some links i can go check out??

cheers
    F2B:.

The information Center part of Hackman shows the uptime.
    http://www.technologismiki.com/en/index-h.html > Hackman Hex Editor
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

Or you can go to Start > Programs > Accesories > System Tools > System Information. That will also tell you your current uptime. Anyways:

What firewall do you use?
    Outpost Agnitium.

From the sound of it, you have it down pretty well. You use Ad-Aware right?
    Heh, thanks. Yup, recently installed it and I scan every two day's .

As for RAM, I have 256MB of RAM and I don't even plan on going close to it (same for drive space).

I apologize Spyder because I'm about to go off topic, but Nihil, you have 4 copies of Windows ME?
    Hah, don't worry I said the same thing. I have WinMe installed on one machine and it's bad enough. I'm thinking of getting rid of it for Win2k but dunno. Getting another box in (laptop possibly) pretty soon where I'm going to have SuSe or Slackware. Anyway's.. Thank's for the help and support and everything. So far so good, we're going strong.
    Space For Rent.. =]