Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: decent antivirus

Question decent antivirus

hey, could someone point out a good av to me? I have tried bitdefender, and that just has too many background services. currently i am using grisoft's avg, which i find is all right, but doesn't allow much control. The newest Nortons are supposed to lag like crazy, and mcafee is buggy... Hmmm... That is my rant. I had a virus that infected norton once, and I couldn't get rid of it at all... had to do a format, reinstall... haven't used norton since. any help here would be loved! Thanks!!

I use AVG myself.
    What kind of 'control' are you looking for?
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

I have had satisfaction with Trend Micro's PC-cillin.

I know some people will hate this, but eTrust EZ Antivirus also seems OK to me.............in my testing it finds more than AVG (which I also use).

I have McAfee 7 on one box, and that works OK for me (Win98SE on that one)

I do not like Norton on anything other than a "sheep dip" machine.............I find that it tends to hog resource and clash with important stuff like killing aliens

Sorry, just joking there...................but I do not like Norton.

Panda Software is also one worth looking at.

Your main issue will be compatibility and stability, so just download the trials, and see if they work for you?

Cheers

well as in control... avg doesn't offer alot in what kind of scanning, when to update, when to test(like in idle times) and running once every 24 hours??? Doesn't that seem a little much??!

yeah... Well......... Hmmm..... I will check out the antiviruses you have posted. i try to use the free editions of everything/anything... So if I am going to buy one, I want to buy a decent one.

~Karvec~

well I have also used eTrust and like Nihil think it 'was' ok - despite what others have said. However with MS's latest interest in it I'm a little more cautious about it and wonder how long it will remain ok... currently I'm trying out Bitdefender professional which seems to be doing a reasonable job so far (and in some instances appears to be better than AVG and etrust).

Personally I can't stand Mcafee or Norton mainly because I view them like Nihil views his sheep dip
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Hoopy Frood

Re: decent antivirus

Originally posted here by Karvec
    hey, could someone point out a good av to me? I have tried bitdefender, and that just has too many background services. currently i am using grisoft's avg, which i find is all right, but doesn't allow much control. The newest Nortons are supposed to lag like crazy, and mcafee is buggy... Hmmm... That is my rant. I had a virus that infected norton once, and I couldn't get rid of it at all... had to do a format, reinstall... haven't used norton since. any help here would be loved! Thanks!!

Panda Software is also one worth looking at.
    I use Panda Antivirus at work and it seems to work very well. You can tell it specific dates to auto-update, but I'm not sure about the idle time updating you were talking about. Anyways, you may give it a shot! You can find their Home Users section here: http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/home_users.asp You are also able to download evaluation versions by clicking on "Try".

Regards,
    Xierox
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

www.avp.ch version 3.5

i agree the free avg is limited,

but have you tried to buy the AVG Single Professional Edition ?

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Karvec, I like Norton (even though it is a system hog) and Trend Micro's Online Scanner as an extra scan for added security. Unfortunately, an online scan isn't very proactive in nature but, it's still an excellent tool.
    I occasionally still run AVG for the hell of it. My problem with AVG came from this PCWorld article in which the numbers looked pretty bad for AVG's scan results.
    I'm somewhat of a skeptic though (I don't believe stats/numbers just because some big magazine says so) so I decided to test this for myself on a couple of my buddies computers (one uses Windows XP and the other Windows 98, neither cleaned for some time). I ran AVG first on both computers (which AVG found a fair amount of viruses and trojans), I then followed on the XP box with a Norton AV 2003 scan. I used Trend Micro's online scan on the 98 box.
    On the XP box, AVG had missed about 4 viruses and 2 trojans that Norton discovered. On the 98 box, AVG had missed 9 viruses and 1 trojan that Trend Micro discovered. Now, are these results indicative of AVG's true capability? not entirely. Too many variables were different for each computer tested (viruses/trojans). To trully test all of these AV's, I would have needed identical viruses/trojans on each computer with identical situations. What it does prove is that PCWorld's article wasn't entirely without validity when questioning AVG's results.
    What I'm suggesting Karvec, is to research as much as you can about all AV's and come to your own conclusion. Myself? I like using a combo of AV's.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

<quote>I know some people will hate this, but eTrust EZ Antivirus also seems OK to me.............in my testing it finds more than AVG (which I also use).</quote>

I also use eTrust EZ AV and am quite satisfied with it - though I have my doubts about eTrust EZ Firewall. It persistantly lets past an exploit trojan. Please refer to my new thread about that..............

My one beef is that it will show me a window that says that it has found an 'exploit trojan' (always in the same file and folder) but it seems I still have to do a scan to get to it and eradicate it. This happens about once a week and its gone a bit overboard for my liking.

Again please refer to my new thread about this because I have questions for the more knowledgeable........................