Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I am in need of a VPN solution.....

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    Would these devices be anything like the 5 in 1 printer, copier, scanner, fax machine etc. people sell? It has been my experience that the "all in ones" do only a mediochre job at everything and create a single point of failure that can be a pain in the you-know if you don't have a second device to drop right in there. That just doubled the cost....

Yes, thus far, most of the appliances I have tested do a fair to good job. However, I have seen many of the big players grab up companies that are excellent in each area of offering, so I'm waiting to see an excellent appliance come down the line in the near future.

As far as choke point failure, sure, however, most of the new generation appliances have got beefy failover and fault tolerance features. Of course, as you would expect, you'll need to purchase additional devices (and in some cases, licenses) to implement the failover features.

Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Originally posted here by thehorse13
    The major players want to be sure that your heterogeneous shop runs well with their drop-in solutions. Many of the vendors walking in my door provide me with a 5 page marketing slick that shows all of the vendors that they work with. This actually makes it a little more difficult when making descisions because the lines of separation begin to blur but that's an entirely different topic altogether.
    Of all of the "corporate" AV solutions, only 3 have VPN integration that I know of.

Network Associates jives with Checkpoint
    Symantec Corp with Checkpoint and maybe nortel stuff.
    Trend Micro with Checkpoint

All 3 are quite spendy on the VPN and AV licensing side.

Do you know of any other common combos?

SGS

SonicWall has excellent VPN support. The sonicwall Pro200 has hardware VPN acceleration as well, which pays big when you have multiple clients using the VPN.

Kinda surprised to see no one mention the Linksys VPN router(s). they're incredibly inexpensive ( starting around $80 for 2 tunnel's, $120ish for 70 or so ). stateful packet inspection firewalling. multiple types of VPN support. good SYN flood handling, etc...

Im not trying to sell anyone on um, just had good luck with them so far =)