Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Network Documentations is Security

People just don't read the whole thing before making accusations !

The links are at the end of his tutorial
    Not only did I link at the end of the tutorial but at the end of the lists I gave attribute to the article.

some of that information will be the same in every Network Documentation paper
    That is exactly why I want to make sure I accredited to the sources that I used. Other than that it is common knowledge that you will learn when you embark on creating your own network documentation.

- MilitantEidolon
    Yeah thats right........I said It!

Ultimately everyone will have their own opinion--this is mine.

I can't believe it I just negged again for this. You guys are unbelieveable.

Well I hope that some people can learn from this because I payed a price for this.

- MilitantEidolon

I wouldn't worry too much about the negs. APs usually balance out. Just look at how long it takes the people who are trying to get banned to actually be banned. Negs are usually not a major threat unless you just do something horrendous repeatedly.

The problem is probably that a lot of AO vets look down on copied tuts, plagarized or not (or so it appears thus far from my limited time being here anyway). I think the general notion is they'd prefer that the majority of info come out of your head. I don't necessarily agree/disagree with that, but that seems to be the trend.

I'd suggest that if you want to post/add to another's existing tut, you might be safer to give credit at the beginning rather than at the end. Perhaps that will save you from being negged by those who only read part of the post. They also know your intent on the front end that way. Just a thought.

Don't be discouraged though. You'll get the hang of things soon enough.

Yeh, and don't worry about the neg's. Your not banned and that's all that matter's.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Additional tools I use for network documentation..

www.networknotepad.com/ - Free
    I like Visio better but many clients don't have license...

www.networkview.com/ - Free to try - To buy $79 US

AGH!

Sorry bro-

Next time, make a sources / biblio section at the bottom or top, and then cite those sources throughout. It's sorta like of APA or MLA citation to work it like that. The links you have at the bottom don't look like sources of your work, but instead suggested readings.

I pretty much just googled a section of your work, and then checked for a sources section in your tut, which I didn't see, so I concluded that you plagiarized. You may want to do a little editing, because you don't cite "properly". But the point is, you didn't plagiarize, although you could call it plagiarize in its strictest definition.

Soda -

I understand MLA I pulled a 4.0 at college in English I am can write. However right under the lists of "possible things to look at" I saw that these lists are attributed to that other tutorial. That was the only tutorial I pulled information from so that is the only thing I need. Also these lists are sorta of common knowledge but I still thought I would attribute the article.

Thanks you for the acknowledgment.

- MilitantEidolon

and I decided developed a tutorial.
    Lists where taken for a tutorial called The ‘Write’ Stuff.
    I pulled a 4.0 at college in English I am can write.
    You sure about that?

Some things to change, because this IS plagiarism.
    QUOTE ( " " ) the copy pastes, because it is NOT your work. You did not paraphrase, and it IS plagiarism. Common knowledge doesn't mean beans.

ADD a sources section. A suggested reading section does not count, because it does not mean you used them for information.

After your brand new quotes, add a (npower.org) reference to the bibliography.

Plagiarism isn't taken lightly when it is published, which is why it is taken so strictly here. We don't like it when people rip our tutorials, so we are strict when others copy paste information from others. If you plan on going further with this tutorial and plan on releasing it, then the changes I recommended are not optional, but required. You made it in .pdf format, which makes me think you might be going farther with it. You have unlimited edits in the tutorials section, so I think you can re-post the first tutorial if you need to.

haha, maybe I can only write when I need to.

Oh well if you guys feel that it is necessary for me to do that I will.

- MilitantEidolon