Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stop Misuse of YOUR address book

Stop Misuse of YOUR address book

Alot of word has been going round about how certian virii (or viruses) use your own outlook address book against you - but I hear you cry that you can't do without it........I know I can't!

I used to be a die hard no outlook fan but now i use it for work i can't do without it. So how d you stop malicode progs from misusing it and making everyone in your dressbook think your trying to send them the latest nasty virus doing the rounds

well the first and most simple way is dont get infected - no there are 101 different posts on the best AVP etc hee on AO so I aint going to go through that - also there are alot of posts about common sense (which aint common at all) and how you should only open attachments you ahve requested.

So lets forget about those types of things and pretend you have been affected how do you stop the virus using your email list to its own spread...........first thing you could do is not have a address book on your machine!!!!

Buit i need my addy book i hear you scream! So add people to Hotmail - an online safe addy book you can check form anywhere problem solved

but what if you dont want to o on hotmail? then store your email addys not in outlook ut in a txt file but change the extension to a non normal one

most virii only scan for certain file types for email addys (html etc) so save it as myemail.kuoij or something

next thing is to stop web bugs - if you dont know what one is then google - simply though it is a way of spammers checking if email is actibve

just set your Email client to fwd anything not from a name on your client list to another account and open email there - that way if it does have a webbug it will find the bug but not your real email addy

v_Ln

so you can check is this email a fake with webbug or do i add it to my addy book?

next thing is I'm driunk good night will write more in morning...........

Banned
    lol... hope you sober up tomorrow and fix that "tutorial"

Neg, Maybe in the new FAQ you should add "do not attempt to write a tutorial while under the influence of alcohol"

do not attempt to post anywhere but in the addicts forum while under the influence..

an other option might be to store the emails in an encrypted file..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Hoopy Frood

Web-bugs

If anyone was interested in a short tutorial on spyware, ad-ware and webbugs, check out this page: http://www.granite.mb.ca/newsletter/takecontrol2.html It seems pretty good and gives links to some removal tools.

Regards,
    Xierox
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

omg i swear that wasn't me - well i dont remember it.........Neg or someone move this outta the Tutorial forum into GCC or something for comical value - I'll rewrite it tonight when sober

v_Ln

Yeah, comical value is right Thanks val for taking the "cake" away from me
    Space For Rent.. =]

Hmm...I blame it on Canada.

So hey, idea -- Is there anyway to rig Outlook up so that it's address book exists on removable media? That way you could just keep it removed except for when you're using it. I dunno, thought just popped in there...No clue if that's actually doable.

you can import/export the address book so yeah that would be an option but yoiu would mean having to do that every time

v_Ln