Thread: Upgrading an old compaq BIOS

Upgrading an old compaq BIOS

well mine is a custom built PC by compaq but it has a model number (Compaq Presario 7000us), i already talked about some of this in the hardware section but obviously we needed a new thread for this...anyways i need to update my BIOS cause of some hard drive problems when installing a new OS...i already tried compaq support and downloads but nothing for my model, i also looked under BIOS screen (F10 when booting) and everyone says its under menu, but i dun see a damn thing, so pretty much i dont even know what my current bios version is...tried some utilities with no luck though

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...RSS,RSS,00.asp
    Download that program and it will tell you what you want to know and much more

I actually tried the program before, they didnt have an upgrade for my PC though, maybe u'll get luckier SK18 !

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/everest.html
    How do you know there is an update avalable for that BIOS?

How do you know there is an update avalable for that BIOS?
    Umm that's why he's supposed to download AIDA32(or Everest) and see what the bios is and check google for any updates ?

I had to google 'jfgi' to see what it meant. The irony is overwhelming.

Hi Script~,

Your basic problem is that you have a "brand name" machine..........Compaq, IBM, Dell, HP and the like do not give you a "native" MoBo or BIOS...............it is their custom version, designed to stop you "messing around" well, actually to cut the costs of running their help centres............

What problems have you encountered with your HDD and installing OSes?............I know that Compaq in particular do not like you changing the OS, because they wouldn't know how to support the new configuration.

What make/model/specification HDD do you have?................the reason that I ask is that I have frequently found that the easiest solution is to use the HDD manufacturer's, or third party software, rather than the brand name's BIOS update.

So, if you can tell us a bit more about your system and the problems that you are having, we might be able to find an alternative solution?

Cheers

ok...i tried using both of them (btw MemorY i used aida32 before, when u used it)...anyways nihil the problem is when i install a new OS, it will only display my slave drive as 35gb instead of 80gb, when i try to access it, windows wants me to format (similar to accessing a floppy...), i had a thread about this before and somone gave me a lifeguard utility to put onto a floppy and boot with it, it installed it so whenever i boot up, lifeguard boots with it...when i put the floppy in though, i had to format my slave drive in order to set it to 80gb...btw its a WD800JB hard drive
    ...so pretty much my problem is whenever i install a new os or maybe its just with #1 OS on computer, but each time that happens my drive goes down half of its capacity and i cant access it and cant fix it so far without the lifeguards boot disk

Hi Script~

Try going to the Western Digital site and getting their installation tool...........

What is happening is your BIOS does not recognise an 80Gb hard drive? you have to use a program to override the BIOS..................when you re-install, you lose this proggy............hence the problem.

You will need to create partitions to handle changing OS es...........otherwise the problem will return?

Cheers