Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Operating Systems

Developer Extraordinar

Operating Systems

Well, here I am at 3:47 AM (So please excuse any idiocy you may notice in my parts of the thread, I'll fix them tommorow) looking for some cool toys to mess with over the summer. I'm downloading Solaris 9, and QNX, even though rioter suggested against Solaris 9 on x86, but hey, might as well try it on VMWare.

So anyways, there I was; looking around, and I come acrose a very interesting site. http://www.osdata.com it has a tonne of information on different Operating Systems, their security, and other neat info, but one thing that really caught my eye was: http://www.osdata.com/holistic/secur...unixNTsecurity this is always a much talked about thing here, and I don't want to get into it all again, I just figured iut would be a nice read. So anyways, I suggest you check out http://www.osdata.com, it looks like an interested and noteworthy site!

Peace
    MB

Well for the summer I will be having fun with PHLAK. Recompiling the kernel as we speak to [eventually] get VMWare running here too... I won't try too many different things since I want to get good at Linux atm... we'll see after.

P.S. Sorry, didn't read the article just yet, still configuring
    /\\

Developer Extraordinar
    Heh, understandable. :P I love Linux myself, but I want to broaden my horizon too, try new things, see what's out there and stuff, and find out what would be best to host my server for Unerror on. Oh, and learning is always good too. ;-)

Peace
    MB

Re: Operating Systems

Originally posted here by MicroBurn
    I'm downloading Solaris 9, and QNX, even though rioter suggested against Solaris 9 on x86, but hey, might as well try it on VMWare.

He/she is right, it boots slow as Sh!t just to name one thing. If your going to use SUN software I would suggest SUN hardware.

Developer Extraordinar
    Want to give me some money so I can buy this SUN hardware? I just want to see what it's like. How slow to boot? 10 minutes slow?

QNX is pretty cool , I didn't even bother to RTFM before install as i was too lazy and it came out as easier than windows to install and get going. I did not have the best of times with solaris on a home pc though PITA. Hope you have better supported hardware than i
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

Developer Extraordinar
    Any other suggestions for interesting Operating Systems for me to play with over the summer month?

Originally posted here by MicroBurn
    Want to give me some money so I can buy this SUN hardware? I just want to see what it's like. How slow to boot? 10 minutes slow?
    I don't know? How poor are you? I bought a used Ultra 10 box off ebay for about $50 bucks & a solaris cd for $5.00.

Just depends on what performance you want, sh!tty or what it was meant to be?

I sometimes feel like playing around with something archaic... possibly something that existed before I was born But I'd love to have the hardware for it too... some of those huge tape drives and whatnot.

Anyway MB it depends what you've tried already. I'm simply trying out a bunch of Linux distros, Fedora was nice but shitty hardware support [on my laptop as my desktop, but maybe it's not general]. Slack was all right but I needed something a bit more security focused. I chanced upon PHLAK [Professional Hacker's Linux Assault Kit - yeah maybe I shouldn't use it :P] and so I'll give it a try.

But yeah, what did you try? Sheer curiosity...

cheers!
    /\\

[Rant]While we're at it, I do have some major gripes with it (solaris x86). It runs like Sh!t, boots slow, horrible hardware support, they've only _just_ released the intel platform edition free version for solaris 9, crappy support from sun for the free version, the configuration assistant just about drove me insane everytime I tried to boot into solaris, until I figured out how to turn it off.
    After all, it makes really good sense that an operating system made by sun would run better on hardware made by sun. I have a ultra 10 box running solaris 9 performing mail, dns,etc... services
    The first time I installed it (before I had my ultra 10 box) registered everything in the systsem except the soundcard...go figure. [/rant