Was it or Was it Not?

Thread: Was it or Was it Not?

Was it or Was it Not?

I recently wrote a tutorial on how to create correct Network Documentation. In this documentation I used the lists that another tutorial from another site created. This would have been complete plagarizm, however at the end of the lists I gave credit to the site for the lists. I also reposted the link at the end of my tutorial along with a few other links. I was negged beyond belief. I don't see how I plagarised. True, I used the lists *only the lists* from another tutorial (because these lists are across the board) but I gave credit and I did not "try to play it off as my work." However, I am almosted banned so you will won't have to 'deal' with this for much longer.

- MilitantEidolon

PS. I have reposted the PDF tutorial I created I would like to make sure I was truly in error if so, I am sorry and apologize for this outrageous behavior.
    Yeah thats right........I said It!

Ultimately everyone will have their own opinion--this is mine.

Banned
    You did indeed quote your source:

Lists where taken for a tutorial called "The Write Stuff" (sic)

I never really know what to do with stuff like this. When you posted the tutorial and you were "exposed", you were getting negged to death (you probably even got negs from people who didn't even read it). I have two options, then: leave the tutorial up and wait for it to commit suicide, or remove it and prevent you from being negged. The thing is: by having this "power", I basically decide how many (negative in this case) antipoints you get, and that's not what I'm here for...

There was another case yesterday that was completely different (the entire tutorial was a complete copy and paste): initially, the poster got (lots) of greenies for it. The plagiarism got exposed, and people started negging the poster. I could have moved the post right after the plagiarism was exposed, but that would not have been fair, IMO. He got a bunch of greenies, and, again, it's not my job to prevent him from getting negged.

What it comes down to is this: I tend to let the AntiPoints System do its job, then deal with it.

In your case, it's unfortunate (as I don't think it was a simple copy&paste, and you did cite your sources - I checked the original pdf just to make sure you didn't change anything in the one you posted here ): I didn't really check line by line to see if it really was a c&p, and removed it when I noticed it. If you want me to put back your tutorial, just ask...

Negative I really appreciate your understanding cause the Tutorial took me about 1 1/2 hrs to type up not to mention the search for resources to make sure I did it correctly and see what the 'norm' is.

I was very dissappointed in how many negs I received. However, I would like to state right now that the negs didn't bother me as much as the accusations of plagiarizm and I would like to state right now, "I did not plagiarize." I like writing so why would I plagiarize someone elses work.

Thank you again and about putting the Tut back up it is up to you. You are the mod and if you think it would benefit the readers of AO please feel free but if you feel it is useless you can just leave it deleted.

- MilitantEidolon
    Yeah thats right........I said It!

Ultimately everyone will have their own opinion--this is mine.

Banned
    I restored the thread "as is" (with all the "negative" comments intact).