We're from the Goverment and here to Protect you

Thread: We're from the Goverment and here to Protect you

We're from the Goverment and here to Protect you

Banned
    Dang... I knew I should've taken my laptop with me when I went to have my fingerprints taken!

If homeland security is there to secure the FBi etc, and they're vulenrable.... where is this world coming to. Half of us here are amateurs but could secure a damn wireless network ! And they pay people couple hundred thousand $$ a year and they can't ? This is really, really pathetic.

Originally posted here by NemorY
    If homeland security is there to secure the FBi etc, and they're vulenrable.... where is this world coming to. Half of us here are amateurs but could secure a damn wireless network ! And they pay people couple hundred thousand $$ a year and they can't ? This is really, really pathetic.
    Perhaps they are overworked? Have they cloned thehorse yet to get the government networks secure?

Dang... I knew I should've taken my laptop with me when I went to have my fingerprints taken!
    Yeah, but think about all your data going around in the air at the INS. SS number, address, phone number. Its a scary thought. One of my roommates (who is a h1B) heard about this and just sent me the link.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Have they cloned thehorse yet to get the government networks secure?
    And they say I kiss ass.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Spyder32 - you read my mind

In reading the article, however, i found this:

A Homeland Security handbook, for instance, does not give instructions on how to report and deactivate stolen handheld devices.
    now WTF.... um call the police and hit the freeking power button??
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

While cellular telephone service was out, key personnel remained in contact using messaging services.
    GREAT MERCIFUL CRAP!!!! I'm moving to canada. I work for Sprint tech support, I troubleshoot phones and if there's anything I've learned is, you cannot base anything important on wireless technology. I can't tell you how many times I've had to break it to customers that their life is destroyed because they based their business or something important on our service and now it is destroyed. I heard a story of a woman who called my callcenter. She was the widow of a man that was on the plane that crashed in that field on september 11th. Her last memory of her husband was a voicemail he left her from the plane as it was going down. He was saying goodbye. she kept it and listened to it every day, but never recorded it to any other medium. one day she called us in a panic, it was gone, and by the time we knew anything about it, there was nothing we could do.
    :q :q! :wq :w :w! :wq! :quit :quit! :help help helpquit quit quithelp :quitplease :quitnow :leave :**** ^X^C ^C ^D ^Z ^Q QUITDAMMIT ^[:wq GCS,M);d@;p;c++;l++;u ++ ;e+ ;m++(---) ;s+/+ ;n- ;h* ;f+(--) ;!g ;w+(-) ;t- ;r+(-) ;y+(**)

x acidreign x, move to Canada. Yes, good idea

This is not even an example of "we tried"... With signals 'stretching out' of the building to the road it seems to me there was no care given... AFAIK APs can have their signal strength set so it shouldn't've been hard for those professionals out there to try and secure at least as much as technologically possible.

No wonder people get suspicious of me for trying to lockdown my box [or learning to] and having all kinds of software to test it out. If the DHS has nothing to hide, and nothing to be afraid of, why would I?
    /\\

In every disaster scenario, public wireless systems fail. They get overloaded. I was an engineer at Nextel when Columbine happened a few miles (blocks actually) away in Littleton. System overloaded from parents and news media calling the school, 911, the governor, you name it. Most government agencies have strict policy to not use public available service for "command and control" This article states that they uses wireless connections after 911 or during, not that they are insecure, just that they can by seen. Well I can see 5 802.11 connections from my office laptop. It looks like in this case they found some or had some 802.11 routers around and they used them but there is nothing in official policy that governs them. People I have always worked with in the government were strictly against any sort of wireless transmission, in fact simple telephone lines are run in grounded metal conduit. But 911 sheds some light on having a backup offline system?
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Originally posted here by RoadClosed
    Well I can see 5 802.11 connections from my office laptop.
    I see only three from my home laptop, [usually, sometimes there's more]. One of the SSIDs indicates a company's name... actually a doctor's office less than a hundred meters away from here. I always thought that's the worse idea anybody can have. I'd rather have someone leave the original firmware SSID [linksys or whatever] than personalize it like this. It will only attract the eyes and tools of malicious drive-by hackers [WEP or not].

As I have never worked in a company that deals with wireless technology I can't be a judge of anything, but would it be true that if all customers of let's say Verizon [or Sprint or whoever] were to talk at the same time.. even amongst each other [so within the network], then the load would be too much for the network? Is it that companies sell more than they can actually carry? [based on statistical use of cellphones and whatnot]