Thread: Ultra VNC RC18

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar

Thumbs up Ultra VNC RC18

For those who use VNC or the earlier RC builds of UltraVNC, I'd highly recommend going to: http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net and grab the RC18 build of UltraVNC. Not only is it *much* more stable, but it now supports a number of different auth methods including AD. It's also a hell of a lot faster than earlier builds. One thing that it lacked for both management and file transfers was encryption. Not anymore. It now has encryption capabilities. For those of you who know me, I wont plug an app unless I have gone through it and it stands up relatively well. Thus far, this build has done very well in my lab and I would actually begin deploying it (after a few bug fixes are made that were discovered).

Here is a list of features (taken directly from the site)...

* File Transfer with intuitive Graphical User Interface
    * Optional Video Driver for high speed and low CPU (W2000/XP/2003), Ddi hooking (Win 9.x)
    * NT Domain and Active Directory based security

* High speed and performances over LAN connections.
    * Very good responsivness over slow connections (cable, modem)
    * Embedded Client/Server Text Chat

* Optional Data Stream Enrcryption Plugin
    * Viewer with Auto Configuration, Quick Options and Auto Scaling

* Standard Win32 Viewer and JavaViewer connections over TCP/IP
    * Supported Operating Systems: Win9x/NT4/Win2000/XP/2003
    * Viewer Toolbar and Hot keys

* View Modes: Full-Screen, Scaled and Windowed
    * Viewer Status Window
    * Dynamic Single Window/Full Desktop view switching
    * Backward Compatible with others VNC flavors.
    * Support for 32/24/16/8 bits colors
    * Server's Desktop dynamic resolution switching
    * Server Screen Blanking/mouse locking from viewer side
    * Bandwidth Saving technologies : Bitmap Cache management, server screen scaling
    * Possibility to send Ctrl-Alt-Del to the remote server

PLEASE NOTE: If you are on the RC11B build of UltraVNC, **DO NOT** upgrade. You must uninstall the old build before installing the new. BAAAAAAD things happen when you upgrade (I reported the bug already).

As always, this is free software. Hope this helps out.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Thanks Hos,

certainly worth a try.. currently using tightvnc..

Cheers undies
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Thanks for the heads up on this new release thehorse13. It's definately worth trying. Seems to have all the features the old version lacked.

--PuRe www.pureehosting.com
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

thanks TH! this definitly sounds like something i want. first thing tomorrow ill give it a look see.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”