Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hard disk boot problem

please check the jumper settings and bios settings of your hard disk. thats when u get to decide if u want it as a primary slave or master etc... have u tried scanning your hard disk for viruses and for physical errors? Try this site, it might just help. www.bootdisk.com
    If your curious, your probably interested.

Another thing you could try is to go to the HD manufacturer’s web site and see if the have a bootable diagnostic program to download, and/or swap out the HD, if you have one kickin around, to see if it is something to do with your cables or MBoard.

Good Luck
    Mad Beaver

1. Has this system ever worked?

2. I gather that neither HDD will boot, if you just install one of them as the master?

3. From your first post that mentions "Novell" it sounds as if your system is looking for a network?

4. Will your system boot normally, with another HDD?

5. How big are the HDDs?

6. Can you try them in another computer (as slaves)?

Cheers

Hi,

the system has worked before

The sytem doesnot recognize the hard disks, if I were to put in a win dows 2000 pro bootable Cd and then boot I get the message that there are no hard disk installed on the system.

they are 10.2 Gb each

i tried them on anther computer as slaves still does not work.

From Novel i gather that they are trying to boot from the network, but i didn't change any thing in the BIOS.

Hmmmmmmmmmm,

Did you have some sort of power supply problem or a thunderstorm before this happened?

It just seems odd that you lost them both at once?

One thing that you might try is to get the installation and diagnostics tool from the HDD manufacturer..............if you boot from it (you create a bootable floppy), it should find the HDD and let you check it for errors.

I can understand the network thing if you have a "check for other bootable devices" option set to "yes"

Otherwise, if you cannot find a machine that at least recognises that there is a HDD there, there is nothing you can do. I can recommend data recovery software, but there is no point if you cannot see a drive to recover from?

Cheers

No i didn't have any supply or thunderstorm problem. yes it is odd that both of them crashed at the same time. i can try the diagnostic tools.

Thanks.

MRG.

Hi,

You say:

About the oS i don't know for it's not booting up, These are of some one else.
    By that do you mean that you are the second owner?, in which case have you (personally) ever seen them working?

Does your machine work with another HDD in it?...............if it does, then that suggests that the motherboard, power supply, RAM and HDD cable are OK.

If you got these drives second hand, it is common practice to wipe the drive first. This protects personal data and avoids problems with software licences.

There is software that performs this task, but it can take rather a long time to run, if someone has tried a shortcut such as using a high intensity electro-magnetic field, then they may have killed the HDDs in the process.

Can you check this out with whoever you got them from?

Cheers

Yes basically these HDD are of my frinds, and yes I have seen them working, RAM, power supply evrything is OK, These HDD were new.

MRG.

OK,

Please try the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic and installation tools, as already suggested.

A bit of a weird one, but also try setting both jumpers to "CS" (cable select) and see if the BIOS understands them then.

What make/model of HDD are they and what machine (make/model) did they come out of?

The only other thing I can think of is that some viruses will zap the first 1024Kb of a drive...........but I would still expect the BIOS to see that it was there.

When you try to boot up with one of these drives, do you see the HDD light flickering, and there is frequently a little light on the HDD controller card.............does that light up (you may have to peer in through the cover...........and make sure that the HDD is level when you do that, and don't move it!!!)

Also, does the BIOS make any bleeping noises...........if so, how many, and what make/version of BIOS is it?

Have these drives been subjected to extreme climatic conditions?............like left in the trunk (boot) of a car in mid-winter (sorry, not sure what climate you have).

I will wait for your report of the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic/installation software test.........

This one is really starting to interest me , well I am sorry that we haven't managed to get your HDDs working yet, but it does seem technically intriguing.

Good luck

PS. Sorry about the delays in replying, we are obviously in quite different timezones..........a bit like playing postal chess

Thanks for your help!!!

The hard disk are from two different companies 1. fijutsu 2. samsung,

I do a see a light glowing when I boot the hard disk, It glows continuously and I hear two beeps after booting them.