Thread: User profile prob

Question User profile prob

Hey guys

I was mucking around with the profiles on my computer since I was trying to seize absolute control over it since currently I am only a user with admin privileges.

Though I was succcesful in taking absolute control over my computer , this victory did not come without a cost . I accidentally cleaned out all of my personal stuff like programming projects, resume etc... when I managed to get total admin privileges.

Even when i log back into my user account with admin rights, I still cant find my personal info. When i tried to install V C++ today and was creating an installation path, i saw that the computer still has record of the "deleted" folders since i was able to see them, but not access them.

Not quite sure where the question is...

Can you post the steps you took to take "absolute control"?

Did you actually delete something? You wrote "cleaned out"..What does that mean?

Which OS are you working with?

Were any of the files encrypted? If so how?

Originally posted here by ss2chef
    Not quite sure where the question is...

Can you post the steps you took to take "absolute control"?

Did you actually delete something? You wrote "cleaned out"..What does that mean?

Which OS are you working with?

Were any of the files encrypted? If so how?
    Sorry about any miscommunication. I am working with Win2k at the moment

First of all, I attempted to change the Administrator password in DOS, but didnt test whether it was succesful or not.

Then, what I did was i went to user and passwords, then went to Advanced User Management and changed password settings for user "Administrator" so that each new time " Administrator" ( of the admin group) logged on, he would have to change his password .

Thus, i was able to get in fine, but when I tried to shift all my personal info over to the "Administrator" folder and then proceeded to open it up, everything was gone. I then went back into my regular account and realised that all my personal settings had been wiped as well. I have no idea why or how this could have happened.

Usually i dont bother to encrypt my hard drive

Got to c:\documents and settings and list the folders there. Sometimes Win2k will make 2 administrative folders or another folder for different profiles.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)