C++ help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: C++ help

C++ help

Hey guys:

I've been studying programming on-and-off for almost a year now, so... I'm a total newb. I need some help. I was wondering if u guys had any suggestion on a good C++ book I could get

Also, part of the reason I'm not "getting it" so fast is that I cannot practice on a compiler (all the freeware one's I've gotten are crappy). It's always some stupid technicality with the headers (one's not present, not working, won't compile, ect..ect..) Do you guys know of any easy one?
    \"I ONLY DRINK THE BLOOD OF MY ENEMIES....and maybe a strawberry yoohoo....and a...Pina Co-la-da!...
    If you like pina coladas....ugh!, gettin\' caught in the rain....ugh!\"

Eh, the gnu compiler for C and C++ is free....you need to run linux though, I dunno if you can run it under cygwin, I don't think so, but I may be wrong, probably am. I use both gcc and VC++, the VC app cost a few bucks, but I got it at my college's bookstore at a discount...compilers are funny...some will require a '.h', and some won't...some will need you to use std, and some won't...some will accept iostream, and some want you to use 'primative', older methods...I do remember a thread on DJCPP, though, might want to search for it, I think it's free. As far as books go, everyone has their preference of course, I like Jamsa's programmer's bible....it covers C and C++, and lets you see the difference, and advancement of the compiler....it'll set you back about 50 bucks, but imo, it's worth it....it comes with a simple compiler as well...otherwise, you can always download perl and play with it, you'll still learn the basics structure of things...

Heh, actually, looks like cygwin comes with gcc, my bad...
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

Antionline Herpetologist
    Actually, a good compiler to get for Windows is Dev C++. You can get it at http://bloodshed.net . It uses a Windows port of the GCC compiler called MinGW. That's the one I use if I'm on Windows.

Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

AFAIK you can use gcc under cygwin, one of the purposes of that... software suite [cygwin, for lack of a better term] is to be used to test cross-compatibility. Unfortunately most of the books I've seen out there on C/C++ tend to be windows oriented. For the beginner level that should be okay, many of the basic functions are ANSI standardized. Btw google for 'SANS institute', I've found a whole PERL book there free for DL so you might be lucky for C aswell.

As for compilers I used to have Turbo C++ under Windows, it's a pretty old compiler [last edition is free for DL from the Borland archive] but it is really helpful for newbies, as it as all the functions in an online help [ctrl+F1]. As you progress Dev C would be the best free alternative. VC is good if you're intending to develop Win apps, Qt if it's Linux [Gnome I think? or was it KDE?]

Seattle, Washington.
    http://www.freeprogrammingresources.com has links to books, Tutorials, Source Code, and compilers.

Man, I swear to you, find a used computer store near you, get any cheap computer that they have ( I can guarantee that they have one under 150, just ask for cheap.) and get any linux distro you can. If you really want to learn C, learn C in text prompt first. gcc is da' bomb! IMHO, of course
    I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children’s children, because I don’t think children should be having sex. -- Jack Handey

Hi, I totally agree with mungyun. Install linux and start C programming using gcc you will learn lots more this way. C is tough, but it lets you do many things. From all the C books out ther I found that "Practical C Programming " by Steve Oualline published by O'Reilly is one of the best.
    Programming languages all have thier own cult following but IMHO for OO stuff you should go ahead and learn Java instead of C++. Don't get me wrong C++ is still very useful but I reckon Java opens the door to other stuff like applets, jsp, etc.

hope it helps,

Yes I do agree with all of those guys with all that programming terms i dont know. I too am a newby programmer but when i found out about the $5,000,000 reward for information leading to where a virus was made i took security more serious, but when i was learning programming the best thing for begginers I THINk is Microsoft Vusual Basic and thats because of all the information it gives you, IT CAN ReALLY HELP, and there are alot of buttons to play around with so it can make really decent begginers programs and plus C++ is EXPENSIVE!

Ninja Code Monkey
    Washington State
    If you run linux using kdevelop and ddd is fine.

As far as books go,
    'The C++ programming language' by Stroustrup - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

'The C++ standard library, a tutorial and reference' by Josuttis - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

are the way to go.

I totally disagree with learning C first. While it was the first language I taught myself, I've had to test and maintain enough C++ code written by other people who started with C that I'd never recommend it to anyone. It has been some of the most poorly written crap that I've ever seen or dealt with. C++ is fine as a first language, just take the time to learn good coding practices.

Another book I'd recommend for that is,
    'The Practice of Programming' by Kernighan and Pike - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

'Core C++, a software engineering approach' by Shtern - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

Custom User
    You cannot say that C++ is expensive because it is just a programming language. Some compilers for C++ may be expensive, but the language does not cost anything. That's like saying that english is expensive because there is a certain english class that you can go to that costs a lot of money.

If you need a C++ compiler, first people really need to know what operating system you are running before they can make any suggestions. In this thread there have been suggestions for more than one os, so that is not so much a problem for you, but in future, tell us what os you are running.

If you are running any windows operating system then I would recommend bloodshed dev-c++ (available from http://www.bloodshed.net as someone else said above), and if you are running a unix based operating system, I would recommend gcc (for c) and g++ (for c++). You would normally have these installed in any case.

Dev-c++ itself isn't the compiler, it is an IDE (Integrated Development Environment) which is basically a text editor that will carry out many of the tasks needed to compile and run your program without you having to do them. For this reason, I think if you aren't used to using consoles (like the linux console or dos-prompt) I think you should head over to bloodshed.net.

Hope that helped.