Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: C++ help

Thanks guys!
    Oh, and Linux software isn't a problem: I use a windows for the net, but I also have a double-boot Red Hat (use it to mess around with)
    \"I ONLY DRINK THE BLOOD OF MY ENEMIES....and maybe a strawberry yoohoo....and a...Pina Co-la-da!...
    If you like pina coladas....ugh!, gettin\' caught in the rain....ugh!\"
    -Sarge

Originally posted here by djplaya216921
    Yes I do agree with all of those guys with all that programming terms i dont know. I too am a newby programmer but when i found out about the $5,000,000 reward for information leading to where a virus was made i took security more serious, but when i was learning programming the best thing for begginers I THINk is Microsoft Vusual Basic and thats because of all the information it gives you, IT CAN ReALLY HELP, and there are alot of buttons to play around with so it can make really decent begginers programs and plus C++ is EXPENSIVE!
    IMHO when one's beginning to program one should aim at something less.. specific. Sure there are software ports and whatnot, but VB is too windows-oriented for my liking. C/C++ and Java have the advantage of being useful in a number of different OSes. But.. that's just MHO.

I would also recommend bloodshed.net's Dev-C++. I think it's great. It was actually written in Delphi. Delphi is a language that isn't really too hard to learn and get good with for most.. and it has flexibility. I don't know of one other OOP language that can spit out an app as fast as Delphi (Object Pascal) can. I've been programming in Delphi for around 2yrs now (including Kylix for Linux). Just started about 1 year ago with c++ and some x86 asm about a year before that. I wouldn't waste my time with VB (including VB.NET).. but that's just me.

Ok, I'll bite on this one... Here is my list of recommended books (in order) to the C++ newbie.

Book 1) C++ Primer Plus, Stephen Prata,

Book 2) Exceptional C++: 47 Engineering Puzzles, Programming Problems, and Solutions, Herb Sutter

Book 3) More Exceptional C++, Herb Sutter

Book 4) Effective C++: 50 Specific Ways to Improve Your Programs and Design, Scott Meyers

Book 5) More Effective C++: 35 New Ways to Improve Your Programs and Designs. Scott Meyers

Book 6) Effective STL: 50 Specific Ways to Improve Your Use of the Standard Template Library, Scott Meyers

Book 7) Generic Programming and the STL: Using and Extending the C++ Standard Template Library, Matthew H. Austern

Book 8) C++ Pointers and Dynamic Memory Management, Michael C. Daconta

It is a good idea to pick up a pure reference book on C++ and STL at some point as well; but they will serve you better if you grok C++ beforehand.

-- spurious
    Get OpenSolaris http://www.opensolaris.org/

GCC/G++ is obviously the choice for Linux. All you have to do to compile your program is:

gcc -o test test.c

or for C++:

g++ -o test test.C

For Win, the previously mentioned ones will do fine. I don't think I saw Digital Mars mentioned though: www.digitalmars.com. That's what I use for windows anyways.

Have fun

mjk

C++ for Dummies is the best way to go. It will teach you all the technical terms in a way a newbie can understand.

Since many of you are probably running Linux on PC's, the *free* unsupported version of
    Intel C++ 8.0 compiler collection may interest you.

You can check it out at http://developer.intel.com/software/...lin/noncom.htm

(I run this tool-suite with the Eclispse IDE with the CDT module for C/C++ on my Linux projects, both at work and in my personal research. Instructions for doing this are at http://developer.intel.com/software/...cs/eclipse.pdf )

Intel also has some really great documentation on programming for the PC, be sure and skim over what they have for free at developer.intel.com.

-- spurious

P.S. the 'unsupported' non-commercial version of the compiler _is_ the same as the 'commercial supported' one, but you can't sell anything you build with it, and intel won't offer any hand-holding like they will if you pay them for it.
    Get OpenSolaris http://www.opensolaris.org/

As you can see, resource availability is not an issue. And having not read all the posts, I don't know if any online resources were mentioned as well. The internet is packed with C++ tutorials etc., and your RH came with a good compiler and we can help you with that. But I don't believe that may be the hold up.

Quote: "I've been studying programming on-and-off for almost a year now, so... I'm a total newb. I need some help. I was wondering if u guys had any suggestion on a good C++ book I could get"

The only problem I see is with your "on-and-off". That may work well with sex, but you might stay "a total newb" if you can't devote more time to studying. I believe it is really hard to learn a language effectively using this method. I tend to forget and have to relearn things over and over if I only do it ever-so-often.

So "Turn-To" on it mate!

Connection refused, try again later.

I am not very smart and tried a couple of programming books, and it still wasnt "going in". So a friend gave me C++ in 24 hours. After about a week it gave me a good base. A few years ago I used C for dummies it is a bit basic and childish but you will learn the basics.

As for Compiler, the best and most powerful I have come across is Kdevelop availible on Linux KDE. It has so much you would not believe.

-A-