net send messages
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: net send messages

net send messages

Are net send messages stored anywhere? IE can anyone read your messages which have been sent?

That really depends.. Windows itself does not provide for the ability to archive net send messages. However, as net send does a broadcast send it would be very easy to setup a network sniffer to trap all netsend activity occuring on a particular network.

Are net send messages stored anywhere?
    no they aren't stored anywhere

[edit] i forgot that i changed my default event logging so that they aren't logged if i send them (sorry for the misinformation) [/edit]

can anyone read your messags which have been sent?
    yes, anyone can read them (it is especially easy if you are on a hubbed network as opposed to a switched network) and for the most part it doesn't matter what type of network you are on.

on another note, many people also can't receive '"net send" messages because they have the messenger service in windows disabled since spyware and a couple of viruses use it... furthermore, i know I have the messenger service disabled so that people don't irritate me with little popups like "call me" or "what are you doing?"
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

Net send messages that you recieve are logged into Event Viewer in Win2k (under the System Log). (Probably XP too, but I dont have a copy in front of me)
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Unhappy Net send messages

Thanks for that!! god its big brother everywhere! any ideas on how i can send my buddies internally messages without them being tracked?

dohh.. I didn't even think about winpopups being logged in the event viewer.

CGX is right. They will show up as an event ID 26, source=application popup in Win2k.

Re: Net send messages

Originally posted here by carlsberg
    Thanks for that!! god its big brother everywhere! any ideas on how i can send my buddies internally messages without them being tracked?
    Hmmm... well just clear out the event logs on your buddies machine (and your machine) every once in a while. (This assumes you have admin rights to both boxes or you wont be able to clear the logs)

One of my friends here at work built a small Delphi app that does the net send command for us. Basically you have a text file of users and when you click on the exe it has the list of users and a box for text. Its a lot faster than DOS. (Of course you can use computer mangement for this, but our app allows us to send to multiple users at once - without the whole group)
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

now that i that i think about it (see my previous post/edit) if you wanted to be like "super" big brother, you could enable snmp and have a trap run so that everytime a message is sent and received, you can have it automatically send a notification to another computer that a message was sent/received and it contained this data.....

i think that would be a little annoying for those who use the net send to try to get around policy's stating that no IM'ing is allowed...
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Because the log only shows the hostname (and not the actual IP), you can easily change your hostname, send the message then change back to your original hostname. This way, you can clean the local log files and not have to worry about remote log cleaning.

Just a thought.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Outlook Web Access

Hello all,

IVe set my boss up to use OWA on her laptop, she is going to spain tomorrow and she was over there a few weeks ago, she connects to her laptop via her mobile phone, she can access the interent out there but when she logs onto her OWA mail she gets page cannot be viewed. do you no if there is a problem with spain its self? ie will it work over there?