Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FTP hacking...

Earlier releases had a telnet server? Wow, what for? LMAO. And tedob, if it say's anything else then he just has a different kind of ftp server running, right? Of course it could be something malicious like one of those trojan ftp program's, but that's thinking the worst right now.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    if someone was to upload to the anonymous ftp I found on my home server where would I find those files?
    %System Root%\inetpub\ftproot

This, of course, can be changed to anything you like.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

systeminternal's TCPview is a good tool for dealing with worm infections since it gives you the possibility of closeing connections on the fly and also get a look into what is acctualy doing what.
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

Originally posted here by Spyder32
    Earlier releases had a telnet server? Wow, what for?
    For the same purpose all security flaws are implemented

[well I guess for admins but... wow! well said]

And if it's a trojan you can bet it has a modified banner. But if it's a service from IIS then maybe you'll be able to see what's there.

For the same purpose all security flaws are implemented
    No, but I'm saying what purpose would a telnet server have on a IIS application? Considering IIS server's are run on M$ system's and telnet server's are generally ran on *nix machine's. And considering there's no point to have a telnet server on a webserver application.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Custom User
    Tedob1, he could be in trouble even if it says ms ftp or whatever the ms ftp server says. There's no reason that someone creating a back door wouldn't try to disguise the backdoor as a ms ftp server. If someone is worried that they might have some "malicious service" running, they cannot ever trust the banner...they really have to use some other tool to figure out what's happening.

ac

I noticed that many of my files have been modified in my c:/ directories. How the hell is this possible. What is a possible attack method? I have now closed port 21. What others should I close? and if there are multiple backdoors what should I be looking for?

another good util for this kind of problem is: Active Ports

Active Ports 1.4 - easy to use tool that enables
    you to monitor all open TCP/IP and UDP ports on
    the local computer. Active Ports maps ports to
    the owning application so you can watch which
    process has opened which port. It also displays
    a local and remote IP address for each connection
    and allows you to terminate the owning process.
    Active Ports can help you to detect trojans and
    other malicious programs. Freeware

nephewb: If your worried about a trojan or other backdoor application's running on your system then download a trusty trojan scanner and scan your file's. One that I prefer is SwatIt from http://www.swatit.org It work's really well and although it take's some time, it is only because of it's thoroughness and effectiveness.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Originally posted here by gothic_type
    Tedob1, he could be in trouble even if it says ms ftp or whatever the ms ftp server says. There's no reason that someone creating a back door wouldn't try to disguise the backdoor as a ms ftp server. If someone is worried that they might have some "malicious service" running, they cannot ever trust the banner...they really have to use some other tool to figure out what's happening.

ac
    those that install back doors like to keep them hidden from others not just the owner of the box. too many people scan port 21, not that its impossible imo its just not likely
    if he couldn't turn off the service in the usual places that would be a give away. like in the web services mmc. back door ftp servers are small, usually dont have a banner and arn't used for an extented period. the ones you can change the header in like serve-u are usually installed on an off port and the people that use them like to advertise their group and not ms
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”