Thread: Corrupt RAR file Recovery

Post Corrupt RAR file Recovery

I have a client who has an un-password protected RAR file. The file became corrupted and can no longer be extracted. I'd like to perform a partial recovery of any of the files if possible. There is numerous files in the archive. It was created with WinRAR on a Windows 2000 machine.

Thanks for any input
    ][ neta1o ][

I did a little research with google online and found a program called SmartPar that's supposed to be able to help with the recovery of archived files. If one file is corrupt - this should be able to get the rest of the archived files but probably not the corrupt one from the sound of it. It's a free program supposedly with no spyware/malware bundled with it. Let me know if that helps any.

i also know that in the past when i have had a corrupt rar, i can open winrar and point it to the corrupt file and have it attempt to fix the archive
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

I had a large corrupt rar a whiles back and tried several (5 or so) different programs winrar winace , and acouple proggys specific to saving corrupt rars and the best results came from winace IIRC , i do remember for sure that that proggys that were specific to saving corrupt files were no better than winace or winrar.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

To recover a RAR file with something like SmartPar you need the accompanying .PAR files for the .RAR files. Basically .PAR files are like super-checksums that can be used to repair the archive if it gets corrupted.
    Sysmin Sys73m47ic
    -The Hacker Pimps
    -Development Team {FuxorWRT}
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=563