Thread: allow editing, no matter how long ago

allow editing, no matter how long ago

There are only a few things which really get my goat on AO. For now, let me focus on the limitation to editing a thread after a set amount of days. This angers me to no end because I am one to keep links and images properly pointed to current locations, which requires editing. I also would love to make tiny changes to certain tutorials I've written, because I know people in the future will read them.

They are a hinderance, and something that I feel should be unlocked (no amount of time locks it to be unmodifiable) so that we can edit, improve, and update as we need to.

But that can cause some threads to become really confusing if people [especially negged people] keep editing their posts to make them seem okay. It could be done either by only adding stuff to the post or as a site benefit for people with enough experience and time here at AO [IMHO]
    /\\

But that can cause some threads to become really confusing if people [especially negged people] keep editing their posts to make them seem okay.
    They can do that anyways. I'm talking about long term. People who get negged won't care about their post 1441 hours ago. I understand where you are coming from, but don't see it as a problem. People who get negged get negged, and if they actually feel their actions can change the thoughts of others 1441 hours later, and edit it to change it, people will know.

It could be done either by only adding stuff to the post or as a site benefit for people with enough experience and time here at AO [IMHO]
    That could work. But dammit, I have tutorials and other topics that need fine tuned tweaking and image redirection. I'm a huge fan of making sure links continue to work even down the road, for people in the future.

AO French Antique News Whore
    I agree with pooh dun tzu. When you edit your post, the system show that you edit it anyway.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Banned
    The 1440-minute limit shouldn't be applying anymore to tutorials (was changed a couple of weeks ago). Are you having problems with the editing of tutorials, Pooh?

The reason there's a limited edit for other posts is the reason hypronix stated. It's open for discussion, though (I think ).
    Also, what if there's unlimited editing and someone goes nuts (AGAIN) and deletes all of his/her posts...

Are you having problems with the editing of tutorials, Pooh?
    Tutorials or large scale OS reviews in which I place images for visual understanding. I would -love- to be able to update the images and resource links rather than have a dead review hanging around (ie, my longhorn review)

Also, what if there's unlimited editing and someone goes nuts (AGAIN) and deletes all of his/her posts...
    That's really their perogative though, right?

I like the idea of having to attain some form of seniority to edit posts for the long term. Preferably a certain amount of AP's instead of posts. This could imply some level of maturity and people would be less likely to go nutz and delete everything. (btw, shouldn't there be backups for those? It's just text so it shouldn't be too demanding). I think someone with like -15 AP's would be far more likely to delete all their tutorials as some form of vengeance or w/e than someone with like at least 500 or more. (The actual number can be debated later...at least in the positive though).