hosts file
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hosts file

hosts file

Greetings,

I am trying to use wildcards to block websites, but i have seen that i can't use wildcards in the hosts file... is there any way that i can stop the browser from going to certain sites but still give the standard "server cannot be contacted" message

(i am trying to make this undetectable because my little sister is getting into sites that our parents don't want her to get into and if she knew that i was doing this it would cause plenty of family arguements)

i have searched through the old posts at AO, and i did see there were some anwsers there, but none were really acceptable for what i need to do

thanks for the help
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

I wrote a tut here, near the end I explain host files, I hope it can help!

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...ght=hosts+file

Basically you just redirect the site to your localhost (127.0.0.1) or wherever you want.
    so:
    127.0.0.1 naughtysite.com

you can't use wild cards in the hosts file you have to enter each and every site but you will get the 404 error page as long as its a url and not an ip address your trying to block
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    If you are using IE, have a look at Internet Options, Security, Restricted Sites. You can add wildcard entries in this area. You can use FQDNs or IPs it makes no difference.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

There are two good hosts lists on this page: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/3972

They automatically block any number of unacceptable sites. Perhaps something like that would help?

Good luck!

it is not for example sex.com that i am trying to block, but our parents have decided that they don't want her to be watching the rap/hip-hop music videos because of their sexual sugestiveness...

i was wondering if by using the hosts file i could block *.launch.yahoo.com (for example)

i was wonering if Internet Options, Security, Restricted Sites would still give the 404 error (the only computer that i have up and running right now with windows is our main computer and i cannot test on that one...)
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

You wouldn't get a 404 error in that case. When entering in Restricted Sites, you end up with the page and in the lower right corner a red circle that tells you this is a restricted site. It just makes it harder for these sites to download trash onto your pc.

Edit: Of course if you have it set not to run java or ActiveX she's not going to see any of those videos, but she will probably figure out that you did it to her.

Perhaps you would be best off telling your sister to shape up or you're going to have to, for her own good, tell your folks?

they are the ones who asked me to block the sites.... so they know, but if she doesn't know that she is being blocked, then we avoid strife, and that is a good thing

(teenagers can be very loud and whiny when they don't get their way -- no offense )

Errrrrr?

they are the ones who asked me to block the sites.... so they know, but if she doesn't know that she is being blocked, then we avoid strife, and that is a good thing
    Aren't you a bit late?............like I'm assuming that your sister isn't a total retard? Sooooooooooo....if she has been able to access these sites and suddenly cannot, isn't she going to be just a little bit suspicious?

You had better get your social engineering bit right first.......like change the browser for "security reasons", then when it can't access these sites, you can at least say: errr.......dunno.........maybe the sites have something "insecure" on them?

I have this amusing scenario in my my mind of her signing up to a site like AO and asking why her sites are not available any more? Even asking her friends?

I am afraid you and your parents are on "mission impossible" with this one.

That's life

if its your parents that want it then let them buy some child protection software and keep it updated or forbid her internet access if she doesn't obey them. she has every right to get mad at you if you screw with her, its a parents responsibility. if you choose to take it upon yourself then accept the consequences.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”