Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I being hacked?

Am I being hacked?

My computer will lock up then un lock up, But i have some friends who say that happens when they're being hack what do i do?
    PYROboy

Well, all I can say that is one possibility............there are many others

1. What are your system specifications?
    2. What operating system do you have?
    3. What firewall?
    4. What antivirus?
    5. Does this only happen when you are connected to the internet?
    6. How do you connect to the internet?
    7. What are you running when this happens?

Cheers

To add to nihil's questions:

Besides going on what your friend says, what specifically gives you the impression that you are being hacked? Anything strange besides the locking up?

--PuRe http://www.pureehosting.com
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

If your OS is win Me then change the OS or get an security update soon/ coz win ME is the worst OS, and easy to hack/

Vinoth,

If your OS is win Me then change the OS or get an security update soon/ coz win ME is the worst OS, and easy to hack/
    That is absolute crap, and you ought to know that it is

WinME is no easier or harder to hack than any of the Microsoft home operating systems.....Win95/Win98/Win98SE/WinME

And ANY operating system that is not understood, and secured by its user is vulnerable.

Try reading some of the excellent tutorials on this site..............you just might learn something

Vinoth,

quote:

That is absolute crap, and you ought to know that it is

WinME is no easier or harder to hack than any of the Microsoft home operating systems.....Win95/Win98/Win98SE/WinME

And ANY operating system that is not understood, and secured by its user is vulnerable.

Try reading some of the excellent tutorials on this site..............you just might learn something
    He doesn't know any better....thats why specHackers went down the shitter....

Hello vinoth, long time no see.

i don't know...im new so you know but umm i have win'98 and norton anti virsus so...but i know im being hacked cause i know the dude who did it he told me he did so.....thanks for the help
    PYROboy

Have you tried a firewall? Odds are it's just some skiddie who found one of them DCOM exploiters or something.

There is are many free firewalls out there. IIRC there is a list of them in the Firewall forum.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

Hi proboy,

How do you know you can trust this guy, and that he is not just "pulling your wire"?

The advice regarding getting a firewall is sound. It should warn you of attempts to access your machine, and anything trying to "phone home"

If you answer the rest of my questions I might be able to give you advice on "tuning it up"

In the meantime, I would suggest that you get :

Spybot S&D
    AdAware6
    SwatIT

And run them in safe mode.

Then get the thiry day trial of Moosoft's "The Cleaner"

After that get

Winsonar from

http://digilander.libero.it/zancart

It will warn you of background proceses that start without you knowing.

Also get Winpatrol from:

http://www.winpatrol.com

Please let us know what you find

i don't know...im new so you know but umm i have win'98 and norton anti virsus so...but i know im being hacked cause i know the dude who did it he told me he did so.....thanks for the help
    Actually it was me who hacked you....

(get my point?) "Sorry took psychology honors for 2 years....kinda learned to dig deeper into the person's mind

Chances are he did not hack you...he probably tried something stupid, it went wrong and now your computer is suffering the side effects of playing with fire.