Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A little warning

nihil he didnt say 20 mins hs said 20 secs.

"it only took 20secs >_<; "

i know nobody trusts ms fw but it will keep you protected until you dl the stuff you do trust.

but what i think valhallen is trying to point out is to make sure you have the security devices you want ready to install BEFORE you set up a new system and connect to the internet...no?
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

but what i think valhallen is trying to point out is to make sure you have the security devices you want ready to install BEFORE you set up a new system and connect to the internet...no?
    Heh, that's the lesson val learned and taught
    Space For Rent.. =]

Is true.. also..
    She'll be right Mate!!
    don't cut it any more (If it ever did).

Sasser, Blaster, Gaobot, Korgo, nachi, Bagel, Donna and Blitzen .. one of these suckers will be knocking on your door.. Will you pass the test or will Santa drop you a present..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Really? Wow.. that IS a lesson learned. You caught a worm that fast? LOL you should be a fisherman or something. 20 second's has to be a record (hell, even 2 minute's has to be a record). Congrats!
    actually AVG cleaned up 4 oO

plus i kept getting the annoying win messanger popups until i got a chance to isable it

v_Ln

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Yeah, I hate the windows messenger service as well. Ad-Aware 6 has a plugin that you can DL for free that enables/disables it without the hassles of having to go through the services panel or registry hacking.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

I had the same problems back in November as Val in his first post...except I got bit by Welchia... stayed up 'til 2 or 3am just to fix all the crap the worm left behind. Live and learn indeed.

Originally posted here by Spyder32
    Really? Wow.. that IS a lesson learned. You caught a worm that fast? LOL you should be a fisherman or something. 20 second's has to be a record (hell, even 2 minute's has to be a record). Congrats!
    I don't know about a record....I had the same thing happen to me when blaster first came out....I'd been moving and hadn't been paying any attention. When I set up my computer I reformatted my drive then dialed up to get my updates....and wham!!

I learned my lesson too...I reformatted and havn't turned off my xp firewall since.
    Faqt

If you want to make God laugh....make plans.

Hoopy Frood

Re: A little warning

Originally posted here by valhallen
    Ok just bought new PC - finally one that will run WIN XP without chocking to death on the spec needed

So I set it up installed XP pro and then went looking for my security disks - couldn't find them...not a big deal i use AVG/Outpost so i can just download them - but going online without a firewall??? hmm dodgy

but my way of looking at it was 'well only going to be on for 2 mins'

it only took 20secs >_<;

now I have just spent the past 3hrs cleaning the shite out of my system (glad i remmbered the whole shutdown -a thing or would have to had done a clean format install)

think am almost done now

so just a little warning to people who think that they dont really need security....that no one would attack thwem a simple home user.......well I'm a simple home user - and it only took them 20secs

v_Ln
    Hear hear. I never realized I was so vulnerable to virii and all the other crap on the internet without a firewall. Now that I've got one that seems to work well I feel much better.

Regards,
    Xierox
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard