Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Add/Remove Programs Through Terminal Server

Question Add/Remove Programs Through Terminal Server

For some reason, I cannot access Add/Remove Programs through a terminal services client session. I don't get an error message; simply nothing happens when I double-click. However, I can access Add/Remove Programs when at the machine locally.

So is this a security setting? A configuration to alter? Or do I just have to go through the local machine to access that?

so are u using a command line terminal?

It verry well could be a security pref that needs changed

its a pure WIN TS or u r using METAFRAME?
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

No command line, just using the standard terminal services through Windows.

If Windows is in true multiuser mode, you need to take special action in order to install stuff. You have to go into add/remove in control panel rather than just running the setup.exe

This puts terminal server into some special software installation mode, which affects the behaviour of it during the installation. I imagine this is for compatibility with some apps.

If it's in remote admin mode, it should work normally.

There is always a possibility that the software you are trying to install is incompatible with Terminal Server.

Slarty

Well, it's not a particular software. What I mean is if I go through Start --> Control Panel then double-click Add/Remove Programs (through a remote terminal session as admin), nothing happens. However, it works when done locally.

Terminal Services has two security modes to run in Relaxed & Full, which mode are you running?

In Windows 2000 and Windows Server 2003 family operating systems, you can choose one of two security modes:

Relaxed security: Windows NT 4.0/Terminal Server Edition permissions compatibility mode
    Full security: Windows 2000/Windows Server 2003 family operating systems permissions mode
    In both modes, the TERMINAL SERVER USER security descriptor is applied to many keys in the registry and directories in the file system. The difference between the two modes is based on the way the security descriptor is applied.

In Relaxed Security mode, the security descriptor is added to each member of the Users group. On Windows NT 4.0, when a user’s permissions are evaluated to determine access to a file or registry entry, the presence of the security descriptor authorizes access.
    This application of the security descriptor allows members of the Users group to run programs that otherwise might not work at all in the more rigorous Full Security permissions mode used on Windows 2000 and Windows Server 2003 family operating systems. However, when you choose Relaxed Security mode, any user on the system can change files and registry settings in many places throughout the system, although others users’ data files may not be visible. A malicious user could exploit this situation by replacing a known and trusted program with a program of the same name but some bad intent.

By contrast, Full Security mode does not apply the descriptor to each user. Instead, applications must be written to run in the context of an ordinary user. When in doubt, you should choose Full Security mode and test your applications in that mode.
    Important

Use Relaxed Security mode only if your test results indicate that it is necessary.
    Source

This may have something to do with your problem.

Cheers:
    DjM

AO French Antique News Whore
    Go in Command Prompt and run this

change user /install

When you're finished, turn this command back.

change user /execute

See this Link for more Info : http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000..._app_h_020.htm

Edit : Check your Application Management service. It need to be manual or automatic.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

DjM -- Hmm, actually not sure. I don't recall having those options when I configured the terminal server. I bet, however, that it's in full mode.

SDK -- Yeah, I already tried that one. Still doesn't work even when in install mode.

just for a little more info -- what os is the terminal server running -- nt 4, 2k, or 2k3??
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM