Thread: Hideing all Desktop Icons for Specific Users

Hideing all Desktop Icons for Specific Users

Hello, I need to hide all the desktop icons and some of the start menu icons for a computer running Windows 2000 Professional, but only for one or two of the local users, the other account (mine) must have everything
    |Ex.G| Shadow

You can use group policy to do this.
    IIRC, you will need to setu it up for all and then revert back which ever users you want to the original policy..

support.microsoft.com/?kbid=269799

Should get you started..

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    On the desk top, right click 'my computer' click on 'manage' then in 'local users and groups'
    make an account for each of the people that you want. Give them a password to access, and set the desk top (theirs) as you want it.

They will only see their set up as they use the system, each one can be different, or if you want a common set up, use the document and settings folder in the 'C' drive to set the default user.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Just in case you don't understand the last explanation. After creating the users in "manage" use windows explorer and go to document and seetings folder. Under each "user folder" is another folder called "start menu", remove or add shortcuts as you wish, same with the "desktop" folder.

Keep in mind this won't keep those users from running any application they choose, only the group policy would work that, they'll just be missing the shortcuts. But if you want a "cheap and easy" way to get the job done, then this will suffice.

peace

P.S. Don't forget to check the "all users" directory for common applications.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Ooops, sorry Korp , I keep forgetting to put EVERYTHING down, as sometimes it is needed.
    Seeing 'Newbie' doesn't always equate to experience, and Ian_422 had said he was to sort this out.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Thanks everyone the group policy works great,

wow this group policy is impressive i could have some serious fun with this
    |Ex.G| Shadow