Red Hat

Thread: Red Hat

Red Hat

I installed Red Hat 9 on my box awhile ago cuz I had it on disk just wasting away...and I'm using it right now (meaning I've gotten the internet all hooked up) so I think I'm doing ok so far... I was just wondering if somebody that's more familiar with Linux could direct me to some online tutorials? That would be really helpful. Also I'm getting this error at startup about "dhcpp4" not working and preventing GNOME from operating correctly. Any ideas on how to fix that? Thanks a lot.

-keezel

Very much apprecated DeadAddict. I feel so lost! None of the shortcuts I'm used to using work (or they do something completely different). I'm using Mozilla now for this OS instead of IE - so the shortcuts for this are different too. I can't say I hate it though - in fact I like Mozilla better despite its unfamiliarity. Linux is a whole new world too....suddenly I don't feel as in control of my computer as I usually do, lol. Anyway - thx.

I went through the same thing when I first started using linux, in time you will feel more comfortable with it.

"suddenly I don't feel as in control of my computer as I usually do, lol. "

The thing is now you are in control of your computer for once , you just don't quite know what to do with the control
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

BANNED
    http://www.linux.org/lessons/beginner/toc.html

Also, It sounds like your new to mozilla. A pretty handy hotkey is ctrl+t .
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

Question: I'm finding it hard to find free firewalls, free AV, and free Anti-spyware for Linux. Any ideas?

You dont' t need antispyware or antivirus (unless you a running a mail server), You can get rkhunter or chkrootkit which look for rootkits though. Iptables (firewall) is probably already installed (haven't used redhat in ages so i don't know for sure) try man iptables ?
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots