Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Assault weapons ban renewal in doubt

Thumbs up Assault weapons ban renewal in doubt

NRA clout is outgunning Feinstein
    Assault weapons ban renewal in doubt

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...NGQK7D4RU1.DTL
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object...6/28&type=news
    I love in the blown up picture how they are sporting a double banana clip "guerilla style"!

Knowing that firearm probably in america was illegally owned,sold,traded,bought and shipped(from over seas) was taken off the liberal streets of the "Liberal Experimental State California". Like most crimes committed with assualt weapons the percentage of legally owned assualt weapons is extremely low.

Being a avid collector of medieval,precolumbian,old english,civil war,WWI,WWII and synthetic weaponry. I do a little shooting on the side and have been shooting since I was 8y/o. The last times I visited the mile ranges I began to see a pattern among the collectors and hobbyist a vast a majority were rich people, they had to be, shooting $5,$8 dollar rounds at $6 dollar targets, shooting atleast a couple hundred rounds. I didn't notice any "thug life folk" shooting wal-mart ammo. I just don't see the point in punishing people and taking away a hobby will cut down on crime in america. I'm glad and I hope they don't renew the ban. Maybe they need to find a different way to save that liberal experiment from the streets because that ban didn't do squat.

"The last times I visited the mile ranges I began to see a pattern among the collectors and hobbyist a vast a majority were rich people, they had to be, shooting $5,$8 dollar rounds at $6 dollar targets, shooting atleast a couple hundred rounds"

Thats cause the thugs get there practice on the streets. I believe in a right to possess weapons but i think it is a overboard allowing fully automatic weapons with large clips , its just asking for trouble and making a massacre all to easy.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

i think it is a overboard allowing fully automatic weapons with large clips
    A "fully automatic" weapon is legally classified as a machine gun.

It has been unlawful since 1934 (The National Firearms Act) for civilians to own machine guns without special permission from the U.S. Treasury Department
    http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcfullau.html

The "assault weapons" being debated now are not fully automatic.
    BTW, I believe that Oswald assasinated Kennedy with a bolt action rifle, and
    that is not considered an "assault" weapon.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Not only that, but it was a cheap Italian import. Somehow he still managed to do what he did with lethal efficiency. Discovery channel did a test, with a man of the same build and stature, with the same rifle, and they decided after many tests that it was very possible for him to hit with the accuracy he did.

it was a cheap Italian import
    An obsolete 6.5mm military weapon of Austrian/German design, built in Italy, for the Italian army.

The range was less than 50 yards?...............I have managed a headshot to a horsefly at 100x................and it was my last shot in an inter-county competition..............the Boss was not best pleased , but he noticed that I waited for it to crawl into the x-ring

The problems with assault rifles are twofold (IMHO)..............the ammo is too expensive (by volume) and they get gunge in places you did not even know that guns had places........costs you a fortune in Hoppe's #9 and other such stuff...................I used to use paintbrush cleaner on light machineguns!, and dry cleaning fluid (CTC).

I think that from a public safety aspect, they should be kept on the "mile ranges"............not what I would want around the house for "personal protection" anyways?..............Ithaca Mod.37, or something like that, and a nice S&W with the Glaser "safety round"?............mercury is an interesting material though?

But, most of that stuff is banned over here now............except for .22 and high velocity sniping rifles...........politicians are wonderful aren't they?

Cheers

Nihil,

Not postive on the range, or exact times, but I remember all of the shots (5 total I believe) were fired within a period of around 10 seconds, and thats with this obsolete rifle. Not only that it was a bolt action, I'd have trouble hitting 5 on target with a semi due to the recoil. Was some fancy shooting, but I guess the man believe in what he was doing.

There aren't many uses for assault rifles, but I dont believe that they should be banned. Given a choice between a cheaply made pistol, or a fine expensive assault rifle (thinking Bushmaster here) most would go for the cheaply made. Well here comes the whole import thing blah blah.

I enjoy shooting, and can do it in a safe manner. If someone wants to legally buy one of these things, they should have the means to do it. And the average person can't go and buy an automatic rifle legally. Got to get ahold of one of those Class 3 licenses, that I drool about just thinking of it.

Good stuff eh?

Thad~

I have a Winchester P14 (1914 vintage), and a Mauser '98, which was made in the Erfurt Arsenal in 1908. I would not recommend anyone to get within 1000x (one thousand yards)............obsolete though they may be............it is all rhytmn and timing. OK they have been re-chambered and re-barelled to .308 (7.62mmNATO)

You are actually at a diasadvantage with a semi-auto, because it uses some of the gas to operate the mechanism, and to eject......it ejects to the side, so you get an opposite reaction.

OK you need semi with the Lite .50 but that is one hell of a different weapon!..........

I view it as you get one shot, then you settle for the next............a .308 semi tempts you to take the second shot, so neither are two good.

The secret with a bolt action, is to fire with your middle finger, and leave your trigger finger along the stock, and under the bolt, so you can flip it up as soon as you have fired. Your thumb pushes it forwards again.

! think that the Kennedy ranges were around 125 to 175 FEET.............I would do that with a .357!

Cheers

Blah, I've never used a military bolt action. My understanding was the Mausers, although maybe more accurate, weren't as fast of an action as the Springfield (basically a Mauser clone) ... my experience with bolt actions include my .270 savage, 7MM savage, 7MM Remingtons and the such, basically hunting rifles. And they've got such a stiff bolt action and long throwback that it wouldn't be conceivable for you to fire shots quickly. On top of that we use scopes like crazy, so after a shot its hard to get back on target quickly.

Anyways (not sure how we got on that) I'm just saying that the rifle that he had was crap. I watched a neato special that the discovery channel had, basically using the exact same situation that the Kennedy assasination took place in. They had the same rifle that he had, same height and distance, and a moving car with targets in place. In atleast two of the tests the gun failed to fire.

Now I dont know what was done to these rifles, but I do know he bought it from a mail order catalog, so it could have been a rifle that had been through absolute hell. I know for a fact every gun that I own will fire, because I take good care of them. I'm assuming he did the same. And still managed to pull off what he did, so he was well aware of this secret, that I'm now aware of

Well Thad~

I'm a metallic sight guy..................but military scopes are only around 3x-4x, they are not powerful..........and the Italians would have a standard range of 300M for their training. Over here we would go to 600x and longer on the big ranges like Bisley Camp (our equivalent to Perry)

He had a scope on it, but it would be either offset or raised to allow the use of the short range metallic combat sights I suspect. I think that he used those, given that the ranges were under 300 feet.

Also, this was possibly a sniping rifle?.................no one has really commented, but I did talk with a German once who used a Mannlicher 6.5 sniping rifle, in 6.5 x 52(54?) with a six round snail magazine.........I have no idea where they got those from. I believe that the one used by Oswald was a Mannlicher-Carcano, so I imagine it was of similar design, probably with a straight 5-round magazine?

Were your 7mm by 52 (54?) 0r 64?..............64 is the 7mm magnum, I think. Not sur about the 7mill case lengths, I would have to go and find one and measure it, which is not easy, as we have recently moved, and some unpacking was left aside for decorations and stuff.

Cheers

[i] Originally posted here by lumpyporridge

Thats cause the thugs get there practice on the streets. I believe in a right to possess weapons but i think it is a overboard allowing fully automatic weapons with large clips , its just asking for trouble and making a massacre all to easy.
    Overkill, no that would be nuclear or maybe a flame at a gas station or maybe a HAZMAT truck spilling onto backed up traffic.
    Correct, 97% of street thugs that are toting assualt weapons are unregistered, illegally shipped and sold assualt weapons from overseas. So my point is why punish doctors,lawyers,dentist,state attorneys ect...... People that legally own such weapons already give up many liberties such as privacy. Your subject to raids on your home by the ATF anytime and anyday.

Originally posted here by rcgreen

A "fully automatic" weapon is legally classified as a machine gun.

http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcfullau.html

The "assault weapons" being debated now are not fully automatic.
    BTW, I believe that Oswald assasinated Kennedy with a bolt action rifle, and
    that is not considered an "assault" weapon.
    I knew the crimes were low, just not that low!

I still believe that he was shot by the fence or from the gutter and that the russians had a hand in it.

Originally posted here by nihil

The problems with assault rifles are twofold (IMHO)..............the ammo is too expensive (by volume) and they get gunge in places you did not even know that guns had places........costs you a fortune in Hoppe's #9 and other such stuff...................I used to use paintbrush cleaner on light machineguns!, and dry cleaning fluid (CTC).

I think that from a public safety aspect, they should be kept on the "mile ranges"............not what I would want around the house for "personal protection

Cheers
    Yes, I choose to keep a specially modified 870 tactical remington black synthetic behind the door, some might say thats a bit to much.
    But I would like to have a Swiss SIG SG 550/551 (Stgw 90) with triple plastic clip for protection incase I have to yell out in a home robbery "Say hello to my little friend", wow what a showpiece that would be.

Why do democrats in this country always want to punish law abiding citizens by trampling on their rights and heavy taxing?