View Poll Results: School is making me pay for 6 courses-I only need 5. Should I waste the $ or.........

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Introductory to UNIX

3 50.00%
  • CCNA (one of four)

3 50.00%
  • Focus your workload on the other courses (don't take the additional course) You're only throwing away $400.00

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stupid question !!!

stupid question !!!

lissen iam kinda new to AO so plz help me out with this query
    looking at these guys

ac1dsp3ctrum
    memory
    RiOtEr
    JCHostingAdmin

people like these have a very large amount of positive antipoints and have been banned , normally we see a person being banned has 2-3 red negative anti points but how come people like them with a shiny pot of antipoints are being banned , is it some personal grudge or some thing like they did some thing they are not suposed to do ?

blow

he has only one positive anti point and he is give the ranking of a jr member

has 4 +ve anti points and is still a newbee

thank you for answering this stupid query of mines

Well, I suppose if you hunted around, you would find the answers, but I will attempt to explain, bearing in mind that I have not been here that long myself

You have read the site ethics on the front page................so excessively vulgar language, repeated personal attacks and stuff are frowned on.......I am sure that you can see the reason for that.

Creating multiple accounts is not allowed, particularly when you use them to support eachother and attack other members.

Entering into "alliances" where you gratuitously hand out positive points to eachother, and attack anyone who disagrees with you is not allowed.

Obscene avatars are not allowed..............

Some people "flip" and go around attacking people at random................and I do mean RANDOM.

So it is largely due to unacceptable behaviour, not being a troll or skiddie. Remember that this site is multinational, multicultural and has minors as members..........there have to be certain standards (good job my cloak of invisibility is still working )

As for the "rank".........that is on number of posts, not antipoints. Antipoints are for contribution, and helping people.

Hope that helps...................oh, as you are new, and it is a slightly different angle, I have attempted to answer your question...................generally it is not considered good form to discuss antipoints too much...........but as you were not talking about your own, I consider the question to be OK

Hope that helps

thanx for that but you leave me with one more query

"ranks come with posts "

so if i post like a 1000 NEUTRAL posts at random with nothing relavent then won't i become a senior member , i mean there has to be some quality in the posts not quantity isn't it??

You are perfectly correct sir, and I believe that the administrators, and long term site members are looking at this.

Some persons have, in the past abused the system this way, but it will not gain you anyone's respect nor will it gain you points, other than negative ones.

Quality is far better than quantity, anytime. The problem is, how do you measure quality?

For example (very exaggerated of course) I could ask 500 very legitimate questions.....I would be a senior member (I think?) but I would not have contributed other than that the answers may have helped others who read the thread.

I could post 500 bits of junk............but the red dots would get me first

I have given this paradox some thought, and I honestly don't have any answers myself.

AO is a great community............believe me, and like all families it is self-policing and based on mutual respect. Sometimes one of the members of the family oversteps the mark, and is "punished" by the other members..................I guess life is like that?

Enjoy it my friend!

( or I will neg you .............sorry, I could not resist that!)

Cheers

Banned
    It's all in the FAQ, btw...

1st question: answer.

2nd & 3rd question:
    answer.

I could ask 500 very legitimate questions
    Like me! I'm the unseniorly senior for that very reason. Just about every thread I've started has been a question, and Nihil can vouch for me that I go around here posting questions left and right. Unfortunately, I only post answers on occasion because either 1) the question is out of my league or 2) one of the actual seniorly seniors beats me to it.

You'll find that most people (those of us who count, anyway ) don't care about that little senior title or collection of antipoints. Those of us who've been around long enough know from experience who knows their stuff and who doesn't, and that's what you should learn to go by.

ac1dsp3ctrum
    memory
    RiOtEr
    JCHostingAdmin
    Wow, i've been compared with some serious intelligent and historical senior members, am i in the AO History pages now ?

Originally posted here by NemorY
    Wow, i've been compared with some serious intelligent and historical senior members, am i in the AO History pages now ?
    Rioter and the word intelligent... that's a moronic oxymoron.

it is self-policing and based on mutual respect. Sometimes one of the members of the family oversteps the mark, and is "punished" by the other members..................I guess life is like that?
    Couldn't agree more nihil. I would tend to think most of the member's here respect me as I respect them and we both respect the fact we can learn from each other. As information is shared, you learn to develop certain "aspect's" of respect. For instance, I know very little about SuSe Linux, but if I wanted to know more about it I would turn to a member who does (i.e gore, phish, etc). Point is, we all (like nihil said) as a family have that mutual respect.

Well I dunno much about the one dude, but based on what I've heard/seen, RiOtEr and the ac1d dude aren't really what I would call "intelligent". More like "juvenile" and "childish" would describe their behavior. Now, I've read some of their tutorial's and they have contributed some to AO in their time, but they choose to make certain decision's and that's what seperate's them from the rest.

Oh, and NemorY: I wouldn't be proud to be "compared" to/or be in a group of those member's. Doesn't seem to be a positive category.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Ok then, get me off that list, NOW !